Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > IMAC
Reload this Page >

Spring/Summer IMAC competitions East Tx?

Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Spring/Summer IMAC competitions East Tx?

Old 01-16-2005, 08:12 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spring/Summer IMAC competitions East Tx?

Hey guys,
Im from Nederland, Texas which is about 80 miles east of Houston near the Tx, La. border. I have flown some pattern but I sold my pattern planes and replaced with 30% Edge 540 a few months ago to fly 3D. I like to fly 3D but pattern is still in my blood so I have been working on the Basic and Sportsman IMAC sequences much to my enjoyment!. Id like to compete a little but I cant drive to Dallas, Shreveport or San Antonio to do it. Are there any contests or warmup competitions within 100 or so miles of me. All I see on the IMAC site are comps in North and West Texas.

Also there is NO IMAC in southeast texas that I know of, but Id like to meet some guys that are into and maybe get a little guidance. Im a pretty proficient pattern pilot and I can fly the sequences pretty well but other than the strategies and tips I picked up off of the IMAC site I know nothing. I would love to know the specifics of what judges will be looking for as far as execution of the manuevers, transitions between maneuvers, utilization of the box etc etc,,, I know its a lot different than pattern so any help would be GREATLY appreciated. THANKS!

Mike
Old 01-16-2005, 11:36 PM
bentgear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spring/Summer IMAC competitions East Tx?

MiKe, haven't they done one meet each year over at Sulfur, LA for the last few years, or am I just dreaming?

I've stopped by that field a few times on my way over to Beaumont/Houston but never found anybody there. Looks like a nice place to fly.

Ed M.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:41 AM
Bill_Higgins
My Feedback: (1)

Mike,

THe last time ther was a contest in east texas was 1997 or 1998 (Cant remember exactly) but it was at the Harks field in the Houston / Sugarland area. There has been some discussion of one in the Houston area this year, but nothing in the books yet. Houston (or anything in SE Texas) would be a great thing to see. Im used to driving to south Florida, Tucson AZ, or Muncie IN, every year, so anything under 500 miles is always a welcomed addition !!!! :-)

Bill
Old 01-17-2005, 07:34 PM
MikeEast

Im not sure if LARKS (Sulphur, La) has a contest or not. I will check with my friends that fly over there and see. I know they have pattern and heli competitions. How many do you guys have around San Antonio?

Wow what a bummer. I cant believe that the Houston area cant scrounge up enough participation to sanction at least 1 or 2 contests per season. I wonder what sort of turnout we would get if we had a comp here at our field in Nederland? Are there a lot of IMAC pilots out of the Houston area traveling to other places to compete? If I could get 25 pilots I think my club would host a contest. We usually get about 35-40 pilots at our annual pattern meet for a 2 day competition. But that goes for all 5-6 contests we have in East Texas.

MIke East
www.midcountyrc.com
Old 01-17-2005, 10:22 PM
JPrc
My Feedback: (22)

Mike, we are planning to have an IMAC event in Shreveport August 13th & 14th.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:04 PM
MikeEast

Excellent,
I will put it on my calendar and hopefully I will be able to make it!
Old 01-25-2005, 12:25 AM
TXDA2000
My Feedback: (2)

Mike,

I'm working with some Houston guys for a contest later in the year. We would definitely support an event in Nederland. All you need is someone like yourself to commit to it, a club to stand behind you, and the rest will take care of itself.

25 pilots in not an unreasonable amount to expect. At our West Texas events we are happy to get over 15, yet we still manage to have a great time.

Ryan Gonsoulin (aka "ryansrebel") is probably the most active south LA flyer. I'm sure he would welcome the event and bring several guys with him.

I've felt for a while that there is a large amount of IMAC interest in the Houston area busting at the seams. We just need those people to work with their clubs and start an event.

I'm ready to support any event, anywhere, so you are covered from a regional standpoint.

Contact me any time and I'll be happy to work with you.

Daniel Rathbun
South Central Regional Director