Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Take velocity stack off G 26 ??

Old 04-17-2005, 08:24 PM
lownslo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Take velocity stack off G 26 ??

I have a new G 26 that seems to run real good when it is past 1/2 throttle. It may need needles setting too ..... but I wonder about the velocity stack. Do any of you have a better running G 26 without the stack?? Here is why I ask that question.
A G-23 I bought last fall was my first gasser. It was slightly used and it ran great without a velocity stack. I put one on and I had all kinds of problems. I did move the angled top to all different directions. Finally I took it off and that engine runs perfect without it. I have had good comments from the vetran gas guys at how well it runs. .....lownslo
Old 04-17-2005, 09:55 PM
Ed

Default RE: Take velocity stack off G 26 ??

Mine ran perfectly on the bench over it's entire range a few weeks back, with the stack in place. But, there is no way that I am going to use it on my next project, the cowl will just not accomodate it. I'll have it in place on a new plane in a few weeks without the stack, and let you know how it runs then. According to Ralphy, no change in performance will be experienced !

> Jim
Old 04-18-2005, 12:33 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The G-26 will run just fine without the stack. From experience.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:33 AM
lownslo

Thanks guys, and Jim.... I know what you mean about the cowl. I have to take the stack off to remove the cowl. My cowl will just barely come off without the stack. I think I can tweek the needles some more, probably just the low speed needle. She really sounds STRONG and runs great at full throttle! Below half throttle it wants to do what I call "gurgle" and there is some surging. I just don't want to run lean. (I am an old Saito nut that LOVES to feed the cylinder and keep it rich)! This G 26 has only about 2 gallons + through it now. My G 23 runs the high speed 1 1/2 turns out ...low speed 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 out. I have been running the G 26 at 1 1/2+ on the high needle and 1 1/2+ on the low speed needle. My next time out I going to try less on the low speed. What settings do your 26's run? Thanks so much for your input.....lownslo
Old 04-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Ed

Sounds like the low end is excessively rich, or your butterfly valve is backwards.

When you look down into the Carb, you should see the threads of two screws holding the butterfly valve in place. If you see the screw heads, then it is backwards, or up side down.

> Jim