Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Gel-Coat Repair / Refinish

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Gel-Coat Repair / Refinish

Old 10-01-2002, 03:14 AM
BSEC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gel-Coat Repair / Refinish

Hi Folks,

I recently received a new kit with a fiberglass fuselage and gel-coat covering. Unfortunately the gel-coat is flaking off in places where the fuselage can flex. As this is happening during shipping I’ve convinced myself the situation will only get worse as the plane is flown / handled. I’m going to have to fill the areas where the gel coat has flaked off and paint the whole model but my question is this…

What can I do to prep the surface so the underlying gel-coat isn’t the weak link? It would be terribly frustrating to refinish the whole model just to have paint flake away if the gel-coat separates from the glass.

And in case your wondering… Yes I have returned the kit. The replacement came back in worse shape than the original. This is what prompted me to try my own remedy.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Brad
Old 10-02-2002, 12:28 AM
Bruce L Prater

I would ask for a refund and find another manufacture, or if you just have to get that kit, ask them to make you one with no gelcoat, then start your painting process. Gelcoat hides the possible flaws in the glass work.
Old 10-02-2002, 01:02 PM
CoosBayLumber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am more of the opinion that the above message is best. However, iff'n it is what you want, and want to keep it regardless, here is a thought.

Go after the whole fuselage and find all the flaws. Take a knife a chip out all the bad stuff. Look for cracks and test ther too. Chip it out also.

Then wash down the spot area with M.E.K. which is reactive with fiberglass resin. If you have an epoxy fuselage, you don't have gel coat.

Then, just use automotive Bondo to patch in the areas. It REALLY sticks to fiberglass. Bondo will on occasion develop tiny bubbles, and you can cover those with green or red automotive spot putty. I would not use spot putty on all the fiberglass cracking and chipping, as it does not bond as well. Sand to smooth and refinish.

Wm.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:46 PM
BSEC

Thanks for the info folks. I'm pretty much stuck with the kit so it'll be a repair job. I hadn't thought of Bondo. I thought I'd be stuck reinforcing the glass from the inside but... Bondo could save me some of that effort.