Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

TIME TO STIR THE POT

Old 10-23-2005, 01:27 PM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIME TO STIR THE POT

Okay folks now that hockey season has started and the flying season has taken a back seat..........NOT....it is time to stir the pot.....WHO MAKES THE BEST ARF in the 30-35% size category?
Old 10-23-2005, 01:36 PM
flier
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: TIME TO STIR THE POT

WHO MAKES THE BEST ARF in the 30-35% size category?

Best price . . . ?

Best flying . . . ?

Best construction . . . ?

you'll get as many anwsers as there are planes.

For the whole package, my money goes to Wild Hare.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Dr1Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NOBODY!

Dr.1
Old 10-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay Hooked, you asked for it.

Leaving all the price qualifiers out of the picture and keeping everything based on performance issues, I'd have to say Comp Arf, at this time. And you know I'm a big Wild Hare fan.

Pat
Old 10-23-2005, 05:59 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

OK... there's a world of difference between 30% and 35%. Do you want a 50cc plane or a 100cc plane? Decide what you want to spend and how big you want to transport, then ask again.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:19 PM
ICE_MAN

That's a huge gap from 30-35%... What engine do you want/have, how much $$, transportation? Etc etc...
Old 10-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is by far the absolute--without a doubt--bestest plane in the whole wide world:

http://www.giantscaleplanes.com/Sukhoi_96.htm

Just kidding--I wouldn't buy a plane from these jerks if they were the last jerks on the face of the earth to sell a plane. Buncha jerks.

The plane might be decent quality--don't really know--but the customer service and general attitude puts them at the top of my poop list.

Did I mention that they are jerks and their customer service policies suck? Because, if I didn't mention that, I just want everyone to know that they are jerks and their customer service policies suck!!
Old 10-23-2005, 07:38 PM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote would go for the new Aero-Works Extra 260 or yak 54 in both those sizes.

Mark
Old 10-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Mike3579
My Feedback: (56)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You cant go wrong with any of H9's planes!!
Old 10-23-2005, 08:02 PM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

Silver Surfer,
let me guess you would outfit all of your planes with Hitec servos too......right?
Old 10-23-2005, 08:07 PM
whidbey1
My Feedback: (9)

Hi
I have a 35% Jtec/Radiowave Panzel with a DA-100, what a great flying plane.

Bill
Old 10-23-2005, 08:19 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Did I mention that they are jerks and their customer service policies suck? Because, if I didn't mention that, I just want everyone to know that they are jerks and their customer service policies suck!!
Rcpilet

Guys aren't going to know how you really feel if you keep sugar coating statements like that.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:39 PM
ICE_MAN

Some body woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.!

Thanks though,

I was considering a plane from them. Guess not!
Old 10-23-2005, 09:35 PM
funflyphil

for the price, GP cap 580.....
Old 10-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL: ICE_MAN

Some body woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.!

Thanks though,

I was considering a plane from them. Guess not!
I was just being goofy. I've been building planes this weekend--so I'm in very good spirits. The wife and kids went to the mother-in-law's house for the weekend--so it's peacefull and quiet around here.

I REALLY won't buy anything else from GSP again.

On to the topic at hand:
I only have 2 30% planes. The Carden Cap 232 and the BME Edge 540. Neither of which are finished and RTF yet.

The Carden is supposed to be a good flier, but it's heavy and expensive for a box of wood. I'll probably never buy another Carden, after building one of their kits.

The BME is just a middle of the road ARF--IMO--from what I've seen and done with it so far.

We're looking for the best.

I've seen Mike Hurleys 35% Extra and it's a winner in my book. 2 guys in Denver have them. All I can say is WOW!! If I ever get a big enough vehichle to transport a monster like that--I will build Mikes Extra.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:53 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Keep your eye on the Aeroworks 260. It is a BEAUTIFU airplane, and will be the very most RTF plane you can come by...oh yeah, and it flies absolutely AWESOME.
Another HUGE contender is the QQ 102" Yak. It is probably the best flying 100cc class plane out there right now, and it has proof to back it up - Mark Leseberg won the freestyle shootout in Tucson with it. Jesky took 8th, and McBride took 13th....dollar for dollar, it is probably the best out there.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:08 AM
cstevec

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

The Carden is supposed to be a good flier, but it's heavy and expensive for a box of wood. I'll probably never buy another Carden, after building one of their kits.
Wait 'till you fly it. You may never want to be without one again! There is a reason in this world of ARF's, people are still willing to buy (or pay someone to build for them) a Carden kit.

To answer the question, my vote goes to Aeroworks. Not the best finish, but the truest flying ARF I own. (29% Katana)
Old 10-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Mike3drc

Hello,

I was just at the Aerotech R/C Models plant. I will be doing a 35% Yak kit when its ready next month but they have had about 7 planes being built inhouse in various stages during my visit. Maybe worth a look if you don't want what everyone else has out there.

Good Luck

Mike
Old 10-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Dart373
My Feedback: (2)

Extreme Flight Yaks are near 30% if not and they are darn nice planes. Toc1 yaks have come along way for the money...
Old 10-24-2005, 02:47 PM
scotsman212

Why on earth would anyone want to buy an ARF anyway when there are so many good builders on this forum???
Old 10-24-2005, 06:40 PM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL: cstevec

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

Wait 'till you fly it. You may never want to be without one again! There is a reason in this world of ARF's, people are still willing to buy (or pay someone to build for them) a Carden kit.
It BETTER fly nice. It was an expensive kit. Just a mediocre box of sticks and it's friggin' heavy.

The reason why so many people are willing to pay soooo much for these kits is because of the Carden reputation. I was one of them people. I read soo much hype and mantra about Carden that I finally broke down and bought a kit. NOW--after putting it together, I'm not very impressed. It better fly darn good.

Don't take my critism of Carden as an indication of my building skills or flying skills. If you were to assume that I'm a sloppy or inexperienced builder--you'd be dead wrong.

I just call it like I see it. IMO--the Carden is overpriced, overweight, and lacking in the quality department when you consider what it costs.

I'm done here. I don't want to hijack the thread and turn it into a good Carden--bad Carden thread. It's just my opinion. Yours is probably different. But thats okay.

I truely HOPE that I'm singing the praises of the Carden when this plane is done. I didn't spend all this $$ and time to end up with a bad airplane. So, I'm praying that it will be the best goshdarned flying plane that I've ever flown. I'm hoping that your right--I hope that flying this plane will make me never want to be without a Carden again.

If I really do feel that way---then I'll be joining all the others in the Carden following. But, if I hate it--then I'll say it.

Time will tell.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:24 PM
FreedomFlier
My Feedback: (8)

Money no object, Comp ARF..
Old 10-24-2005, 11:42 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hooked,

When it comes to servos, you KNOW better than that![8D] But I'm not going there today, thank you very much...

Pat
Old 10-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

If you start loading up any plane with a bunch of crap, the next thing that happens is that you start a post here and complain about how bad of investment plane "X" is from manufacture"Y" because of how bad it flies. If you follow the KISS method, I do not think that you could go wrong with any of the planes out there today in any size.

Personally, I do not think you can get more quality than the Comp-Arf's, but thats just my opinion.