Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Scary 10X Failure

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Scary 10X Failure

Old 12-06-2005, 04:29 PM
David Gladwin

Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts
Default RE: Scary 10X Failure

Lee, Both of the models I have range checked and flown with the synth Tx, one with a synth Rx the other a crystal Rx have shown significantly greater range than I would consider normal witha crystal tx. One was a Bobcat with PST 60 with TEMS ECU, the other the FC Mig 29 with twin JetCat 160s and the Omega hydraulic ECU . Cant see th logic of workshop testing with the aerial removed even it is even thought that might be harmful to the Tx module. DSC reduxces power drain to about half. Whatever the MTBF o fa module, workshop use takes it closer to that time !
Regards,
David Gladwin.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:40 PM
gazza3535

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I ever had a radio set that did this, especially after sending it back once before for checking and they could not find anything wrong with it, I am afraid that a new set from a different manufactuerer would be the order of the day, I certainly would not risk flying the type of models that we fly, at the price that we pay for them, not to mention the safety aspects of it.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

Lee, Both of the models I have range checked and flown with the synth Tx, one with a synth Rx the other a crystal Rx have shown significantly greater range than I would consider normal witha crystal tx. One was a Bobcat with PST 60 with TEMS ECU, the other the FC Mig 29 with twin JetCat 160s and the Omega hydraulic ECU . Cant see th logic of workshop testing with the aerial removed even it is even thought that might be harmful to the Tx module. DSC reduxces power drain to about half. Whatever the MTBF o fa module, workshop use takes it closer to that time !
Regards,
David Gladwin.
Thanks for the input Bob & David.... what you have observed directly correlates with what I have discovered! We all assume a poor range check is directly associated with a mis-aligned / tuned rec. or on-board RFI/EMI. To be sure degraded range checks can sometimes be corrected by isolating aircraft related problems, but short Baseline range checks often are corrected by checking and correcting weak transmitter modules.

Paul.... obviously don't risk using that transmitter until the problem is found! If the service center can't convince you that they actually found the problem and can explain it don't trust that box. Johns suggestion of re-programming from a new default setup is a good idea did you try that? Keep in mind that the cost of a new transmitter box is nothing compared to the cost of one turbine powered Jet. At the end of the day a sledge hammer maybe the best fix for that box.
Lee
Old 12-06-2005, 10:47 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Lee, I have to say I love it when people get you going on Radio Control related issues. Your knowlege is so highly regarded and I just wanted to say I have always appreciated your posts. "Best solution hammer" I'm not kidding, I love it!
Old 12-07-2005, 03:14 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't give any info with direct experience with the JR 10X but in the mid 70's my engineer (Royal Electronics) ran extensive tests on the impedance of a 40" antenna attached to a metal tx box. The transmitter with the antenna held vertical and the tx box set on a good ground plane came close to 50 ohms. When the transmitter was held in any other position the impedance varied wildly and so did the power output. Worse case is to collapse the antenna or even worse is to remove it completely.

We usually used a metal cased RF power output transistor with heat sink that was way over rated for the normal condition so it would not fail when run with the antenna off. I would be surprised if the current designs have that margin.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:10 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

This does not sound like a module problem.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Evenbigger D
My Feedback: (1)

I had a similar thing happen the other day setting up elevators with one of the programable mixes. Switched over to the dedicated tail set up for split elevators and it worked fine. Did not draw any real conclussion other than it was "in the mix".