Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ 40 Sport model

Old 12-04-2002, 09:21 PM
snyder_man
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ 40 Sport model

Anybody try that new sport model from ZDZ? 40 size with all the stuff needed to get it going. Says reed induction rather than rotor? Is that bad?
Old 12-07-2002, 12:57 AM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Reed versus timed (rotor) induction!!!!!!!! You'll find people in both camps. From what I've hear and read, reed is supposed to better for torque at the lower rpm. Timed is more versatile and can be designed for more HP, also timed doesn't have little valves that can break. I'd like to talk to RCShowcase about differences in performance between the two engines, it may only be noticeable when pulling vertical out of a hover.
DKjens
Old 12-07-2002, 12:19 PM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

A lot of engines use reed valves. Timed rotor is more expensive to manufacture.
The ZDZ 40 from RC Showcase look's to be pretty good.
If Dick hanson picks up on this post, He is very well versed on these engines and I'm sure He will tell it like it is.
Old 12-07-2002, 02:09 PM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the 40 B (Sportsman) as well as the 40 ZDZRE and the 50 . Also have lots of time with the first type -the rear intake , side exhaust 40 ZDZ's.
I have been bench running the 40B quite a bit - on the very quiet Bisson muffler which comes as standard on it -in the full package form.
Overall - an extremely easy engine to start and smooth and quiet.
Powerwise in this setup -it seems to be right on par with other brands of 40 size engines - powerwise.
However -I don't have enough time on it to do any accurate power tests.
On the recommended , supplied Bambula 20x8 prop -this setup turms almost 6400 rpm.
Note that the Bambula is more load than any of the other brand 20x8's -tho I have not tried the MCS .
My tuned pipe 40 RE is more power no question about that. The new 50 is also more power than the 40 RE again both sizeable power increases.
also compared with other engines brands, same sizes - these look to me to be the most power.
Anyway - the 40 B has a single ss reed blade and acts just like other reed engines. A friendly , easy to run setup.
We are mounting it in a model- setup to have the engine canted at about the 8:00 position.
This is to allow the Bisson to be removed - then a header and a can to be added --as a comparison check.
The Walbro carb has a small oprating lever which can be repositioned and a long er arm screwed and tied to it - .
The choke will need the little ball link assy (supplied) for most setups.
This endless conjecturing about the torque at various low rpms -is just that.
On aircraft engines - the full throttle rpm is where the load exists - props don't load much at all till the rpm comes up. Till then they are basically flywheels .
The throttle response -from a particular carb setup can really change low speed performance.