Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Engine Temp

Old 03-02-2006, 08:32 PM
SmoothInc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Temp

I know there is probably about a million different running temps for the S-25 engine but i was wondering what anyone thought would be an average running temp for that engine. Its about 60-70 degrees where i live right now if that helps. thanks
Old 03-02-2006, 08:59 PM
benzzyo5

Default RE: Engine Temp

anywhere between 220-275 but u might hit 290 up in there. cuz its warm where u are. just try to keep it inbetwwen 220-270 if u need to get a larger cooling head to keep the temp down. dam i didn't read good enough is it for a nitro star engine sorry then i don't know i'm not familliar with then sorry. u could just look in ur manual

nick
Old 03-02-2006, 10:43 PM
DaveG55

230 to 260 is a good rule of thumb range to shoot for. Of course each engine is unique and a bit lower or higher is not too unusual. If you are having dificulty with over heating then you need to search throughly before putting on a different cooling head, especially if you're new to nitro. Often a bigger cooling head will mask an overly lean condition and can cause severe engine damage.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:57 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine runs like crap under 250.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:54 AM
Mech747

port and polish it i can tell you that if you do the temps will drop like 40+ F [X(] the reason behind that is a ported motor will flow much better and as a matter of fact if will perform the best when its getting the most fuel in to the cylinder with out oil dragging it down and temps below 200F and it makes sense as the more fuel = more combustion = more power. my ported picco will run at 230 max and hover around 200 and when ever i gas it, it pumps out alot of thick blue smoke but performs like a champ rolling wheelies every time iam not careful with the throttle. so to make the long story short port it! there is an article on this for the S-25 too[:-]

PS if you are not comfortable with the idea of a 30,000 rpm carbide blade swinging around inside your engine don't do it as you can't half arse these things.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:32 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: SmoothInc

I know there is probably about a million different running temps for the S-25 engine but i was wondering what anyone thought would be an average running temp for that engine. Its about 60-70 degrees where i live right now if that helps. thanks
Mine was a pretty hot running engine compared to my other engines. My S25 would typically run around 270F, and would often go higher in heavy load conditions.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:19 AM
SavageHoon

My ole NS.25 would run into 310's from time to time, averaging 280+ most of the time.

The only problen with running so warm seemed to be the front bearing seal abnormally leaking.

I replaced it a few times but the temps just made it wear/leak again after a few more gallons.