Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

10 oz. fuel tank for a Saito .91 91 ?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

10 oz. fuel tank for a Saito .91 91 ?

Old 12-08-2002, 03:21 PM
Junior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 oz. fuel tank for a Saito .91 91 ?

I have a 60 size cap232 arf I'm putting together and It came with a 10 oz. fuel tank. This seems small to me and I was wondering what you guys thought. I'm powering it with a Saito 91, Should I go with a 16 oz. ( theres room enough), or does it depend on the final cg after assembly.
The plane is a Vmar Cap 232, and I have read quite alot of discussion on this plane and the way it is built. All I can say is that I bought it new for $124.00 plus shipping and although I agree with the claims that it is not the finest crafted plane in the world, It was 1/2 the price of its nearest competitor. After inspecting the fus really well, I found some questionable joints but nothing loose. It is straight and true as are the wings. I cleaned some of the cobwebs and dust out ( i guess the wood has been sitting around awile), and went over all structural joints and seams with some 30 min. epoxy. The wood appears to be balsa alright, just not high grade and the fitting is not perfect, but it is my first aerobatic plane and for the money, it is a steal. I think that every arf should be inspected carefully before assembly and all structural joints should be touched up , and hinges pulled on. Hopefully the wings will be glued alright because I dont feel like tearing the covering off to inspect, but as I said, all seems straight and tight as of now.
Thanks for all the help folks!
Old 12-08-2002, 03:35 PM
Dream_Flyer
My Feedback: (7)

Default Hmmmmmm Fuel Tank

Well it all depends on how long you want to fly and at what throttle setting. I run a Saito .91 with a 12oz tank and fly it around about 12 minutes which gives me a few more minutes to line up for landing. But with that size tank it should fly around 15 min or so.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:16 PM
Ground Zero-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

I recently installed a 16 oz tank in my H9 CAP (40) running a Saito 100 and find I am getting 15 + minutes with a good 'landing reserve'.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:25 PM
Junior

A Saito 100 in a 40 size ? Geeze am I underpowering my 60 size with a 91 4 stroke?
Old 12-08-2002, 05:31 PM
Ground Zero-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Not by any means. When I went to get a 72 for my CAP at the LHS I ended up getting the 100 for the same price and figured 'what the heck'.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:56 PM
Junior

Wont there be a big cg difference between early and late flight on a tank of fuel with a 16 oz. tank?? If not, how can cg be all that big a deal when you've got almost a pound of fuel and during the flight the cg is constantly changing. Cg is set with an empty tank, isn't it?? Teach me!!
Keith
Old 12-08-2002, 06:08 PM
Dream_Flyer
My Feedback: (7)

Default C,G,:)

Yes CG is set with an empty tank. Because if you did set your cg in the aft location with a full tank then when the tank is empty at the end of the flight the plane will for a loss of a better word here die lol . That is why you set the CG with an empty tank so the plane will fly correctly even when it is out of fuel. But that also brings up the subject as to why so many people like to have fuel pumps and Y.S. engines because then you can set the fuel tank right on the CG and the CG will not change much during the flight.

Hope this helps