Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Kevlar pull-pull rudder question

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Kevlar pull-pull rudder question

Old 12-26-2002, 02:26 PM
didiwatt
My Feedback: (38)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Kevlar pull-pull rudder question

Tried a Kevlar pull-pull rudder set up on my 1/4 scales Extra just for grins. Never used it before. I used Dubro 2/56 threaded ends that had a hole pre-drilled. I threaded the Kevlar through the holes, twisted the Kevlar a couple times and CA'd the twists. Then I put heat shrinking around the twists. This arrangement only lasted 2 flights. The Kevlar wore through where it rubbed on the sides of the holes on the Dubro threaded ends. Would like to try again because I like the idea of no metal wire next to the antenna area but don't know how to proceed correctly. Any help on correct set-up and best outlet for the Kevlar and mechanics.
Thanks
Old 12-26-2002, 03:06 PM
Giant Scale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check with Roger at www.aerografixs.com he uses this type of pull pull line. I think he also sells it. His website has lots of interesting information on it. Here is a pic from his site.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	43120_9799.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	26944  
Old 12-26-2002, 04:29 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

I just installed a Kevlar PP set up. I used Sullivan clevises and eye screws with locking nuts. I would tie the kevlar in a knot if I were you. I used an old fishing knot. Feed the thread through the eye screw, twist a few times and then feed the end back through the first twist. Pull up and the knot will tighten itself. CA the whole thing.

I also slipped a crimp tube on the line first. I fed the free end of the line back down throught the crimp tube, butted the tube up against the knot and crimped it. I doubt this will move.

Mike
Old 12-26-2002, 04:37 PM
Tiger
My Feedback: (7)

Hey, Anyone know how to deal with the coated Kevlar line from Aerospace Composits? This stuff is cool, but quite thick because of the coating. I don't think the typical knots will work with this.
They sell these threaded connectors for the stuff that are hollow all the way through. I would think your meant to fish the line through the connector then put a small knot on the end to keep it from coming back out? Problem is, a knot makes it impossable to thread the connector onto a clevis. ??
Old 12-26-2002, 05:07 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Default Here's a (bad) illustration

Here's what I did.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	43127_4987.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	26945