Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Im just about to do it :)

Old 06-19-2006, 06:00 AM
AussiePilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im just about to do it :)

Hi guys well i have been flying for nearly 2 yrs and i just bought myself a GP cap 232 27% and i have chosen to go with the Fuji Imvac BT-43 EI Gas Engine
So as this is my first "Gasser" im not really sure what else i need
I know i have to get an ignition module, Which ones do u guys recommend,>??
Also i want to run a smoke system in this baby i was also wondering if u can buy some Mufflers for this muffler.??

Thansk guys
Old 06-19-2006, 06:33 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Im just about to do it :)

Aussie,

That engine comes with the ignition module. All you need is a battery/switch (I'm using a JR1100 for the ignition)and you should also consider some way to kill it in the air.

Here is the kill switch I use

http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Ignition/ignition.htm

I have that exact same combo and flew it for the first time this past Friday. Feel free to PM me on certain choices like the prop and such. The recommended APC is nice but quite heavy....

Just so you know, My plane is fully stock and came in at 14lbs 4 ounces
Old 06-19-2006, 03:15 PM
AussiePilot

why would i want to kill the motor in the air.??if the motor comes with an ignition module why r u using a different one.?? has it got more advantages.?
Old 06-19-2006, 03:44 PM
bubbagates

Aussie,

The kill is a different module and is totally seperate from the ignition module that comes with the engine. On gas engines you should always have at least two means to kill the engine and one of them not involving a mechanical link to the engine.

On all of my gas engines, including my Fuji I have the following above and beyond the engine and normal ignition module:

Smart-fly opitical kill switch
The choke which is operated by a servo
The throttle servo
And only for use on the ground I have the normal ignition on/off switch
And I remove the idle screw from the engine so I can use the transmitter trim to kill the engine.

Now as to why you would want to kill it in the air is purely a safety reason and when moving to gas safety is everything simply because of the power at your fingertips

Imagine this, it has happened to me on someone elses plane:

I was climbing full power and I heard a bad vibration coming from the plane, when I went to throttle back the throttle servo was not working, I flipped the choke switch to activate the servo to try to kill the engine and still nothing. The last option was he had set up a switch to activate the opitical kill which is how I got the engine shut off

Now imagine if I was not able to shut down the engine in the air. The plane would have either flown away or with 18 ounces of fuel I would have run out of battery power before I would have run out of fuel. The thing is at full power I would have had a very fast plane on the verge of fluttering itself to pieces and becoming an out of control plane with a powerful engine running at full throttle.

The bad vibration was all four engine mounting bolts had loosened in flight due to the firewall splitting and when they got loose enough both the throttle and choke rods jammed.

So now on all of my engines I have both the throttle and choke servos along with the optical kill to kill the engine in the air and the added bonus of the on and off switch for on the ground for a total of four ways to shut down the engine.

Safety first
Old 06-19-2006, 03:55 PM
AussiePilot

oh ok i totally get ur point....
i have had alot of thought into this and being doing plenty of homework on gassers and talking to alot of ppl, Well im def going to do it though i may need some help along the way...if u dont mind me asking questions. it would be very much appreciated..Thanks u in advanced,,

Just in relation to what u were saying about killing the motor, So with the ignition module runs via a switch just like ur on and off switch for ur plane witch if running the motor the ignition switch if turned of will kill the motor.??
Also if i close the barrel for the engine this will also kill it just like a glow motor,>>?
then last but not lease i have the ignition kill which u were talking about??? is this info right ???
thansk for ur help

The choke which is operated by a servo
The throttle servo
Are these the same servo ???im only going to be running 1 servo. how will i get the choke to work with 1 servo>??
Old 06-19-2006, 04:08 PM
bubbagates

I sent you a PM answering thses questions