Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Foam Wing building

Old 12-28-2002, 04:52 PM
Rc-Warehouse-USA
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam Wing building

Does adding a 1/2" to the trailing edge of the aileron effect flying characteristics of the aircraft? I am building an older 33% scale 230 Extra kit from ACE . The kit says to cut off 1/2" of the foam the entire length of the trailing edge including aileron. I wanted to leave as is, because it already has a perfectly cut edge and I can glue the 1/2" x 3/4" Balsa trailing edge to it instead of cutting then gluing. This would add an additional 1/2" to the aileron.
Is this a good idea or should I follow the kit recommendations?

Thanks
Any Info would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-28-2002, 08:07 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam Wing building

Hey Kurt how Ya doin'?

These larger kits have you build the foam wing in one piece then cut the aileron out. When you cut the aileron out you cut enough so you can add balsa stock to the NEW trialing edge of the wing and the NEW leading edge of the aileron and maintain the original wing shape you started with. This is done for hinging purposes. If you simply cut the aileron out and glue on the balsa stock without removing the extra material, it will only make the aileron stick out past the trailing edge of the wing. I may not be attractive, but it shouldn't have any major ill effects.