Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Kind of nervous to fly MAIDEN

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Kind of nervous to fly MAIDEN

Old 09-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Moe142
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kind of nervous to fly MAIDEN

I am getting ready to fly my Yellow Aircraft Int. Stingray. I have flown many planes before but NO JET!!
Old 09-19-2006, 08:34 PM
S HARRIS
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Nervous to fly MAIDEN!!

NO!!!!!!That's what flying Jets is all about. The Huge adrenilum(spell?) rush after a sucessful flight!!!Its like a drug so be careful.LOLScott
Old 09-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Get everything set up...do a run up and taxi test...then afterwards taxi back, shut down and go for a walk along the runway / field. Fuel up and GO!

D.W.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:48 PM
turbine guy
My Feedback: (266)

Hey that's a pic of my old Stingray/P-60 on your Profile page!

When and where are you planning to maiden it?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:50 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI, do yourself a favor and get a Jet trainer first, Boomerang, Reaction etc.
Rcpete
PS, we lost our home field because a fairly experienced pilot couldn't keep up to the stingray on the first flight.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:54 PM
bidrseed2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id second that, the stingray was my first jet, without several fligths on a buddy box i wouldnt have had it very long.
Its now retired and im looking forward to maidening my boomerang this weekend! (sort of looking forward!)
Old 09-19-2006, 09:22 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure you have failsafe shutdown enabled, and that your spotter knows how to shut the turbine down if you loose it. Easy to start a fire with full tanks and a turbine screaming in.

Remember to throttle back after it gets going, many people forget to throttle back and that stingray can get away from you.

Make sure your caller can handle your trims for you and that you guys have a lot of experience flying together, that helps if he can help keep you calm.

Make sure you are not nose heavy or you could have a very hard time landing it. Also watch the elevator trim with the speedbrake up, it can be severe if you are nose heavy.

It will tuck in the turns (like a lot of deltas do) so if you are not used to it, be ready with plenty of power and elevator pressure to get around that turn. Stay up high till you are through a few circuits. But keep turning! If you hesitate that plane can get away from you.

I have maybe 110 flights on mine.

Good luck,
Old 09-19-2006, 10:37 PM
hoppy99

Mario,
Are you sure you are ready to fly this Stingray? Only 5 months ago you were asking questions on setting up a 46 powered trainer. The stingray is not a beginner turbine. You do know you MUST have a turbine waiver to fly at any AMA field.

John
Old 09-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

Try a half shot of 151.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Moe142

I will be flying at my friends ranch in Marysvale. We made a 550 x 45 foot runway on thin grass. And yes I think I am ready to fly the stingray. I trust myself. I can say that usually everything I do the first time I get it. Just one of those guys. I had a brushless stryker clocked at 136mph!! ( I know TOTALLY different than turbines)And since my .46 gas trainer I have had the Matt chapman 580 and the lanier Extra 330 and flew those wonderful. I really dont want to spend another $600-$900 on the boomerang. Whats done is done on the Stingray. Thanks guys for all the imput. I'll you let you guys know how it goes! :-)
Old 09-19-2006, 11:09 PM
rcjet lynch

It would be a good thing if you are that nervous to get someone else that you trust to take it up for you and to stand with you for the first few or so flights.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:00 AM
airbuspilot2

The Stingray Fly great is easy to takeoff and fly, for landing first time try to have at least 200 meters but is not difficult to do, just make a good approach. practice, practice, spend your fly time doing approach, feel the plane with landing gear down and full Speed brake and that it. Not difficult to land just a little fast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdo8XV5AcxE
Old 09-20-2006, 02:17 AM
Big Tony

Hi,

Don't realy think the stinger is a beginners model but once you get used to it you'll love it mine goes like stink.

Relax take off easy don't let it build up too much speed on the first few flights on landing do a gear pass with 40% power the go all the way around again keeping that power then once you come over the strip again airbrake up which will slow it again - nice long low approach and touch down easy.

Enjoy

Ant
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85466.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	527302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78858.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	527303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32411.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	527304  
Old 09-20-2006, 02:44 AM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good Luck with your maiden,

Billy you kill me, Joe C
Old 09-20-2006, 09:20 AM
CARS II

Received 128 Likes on 111 Posts

Pictures?, please.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:21 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It would be a good thing if you are that nervous to get someone else that you trust to take it up for you and to stand with you for the first few or so flights.
Rob is right.. maidening a small, fast and heavy loaded jet and at the same time making the first turbine flight could be very difficult , specially if you are already nervous. Instead if you try your turbine solo with a already trimmed and well adjusted airplane, and with a
experienced jet guy as a caller you will have a greater chance of success.

Good luck with it, Enrique
Old 09-20-2006, 10:55 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Some serious recommendations.

I also thought I was "one fo those guys" that can fly anything, until I broke a set of flexplates. No big deal but I was very amazed on how different it is to fly a turbine model.
Dude, they geat away really quick.

136mph is not that big of a deal. That's normal cruise speed on most models. The big deal is the high wing loading. When you turn the nose will want to fall, more noticeably than on prop planes.

Another thing to think about, you must bleed off airspeed to land. You almost have to "stall" just an inch or two from the ground. If you don't then the model can bounce and it is not the same bouncing as a prop model. This time it will hurt the airframe. So concentrate really hard on greasing it in for landing.

If you think you are too high on approach, just go around. Go full power for this, don't be afraid as turbines do not hick up like glow engines. And be very carful about going to full idle.
Once you go to idle it will take time to recover, plan on it. I typically go to idle once I know I have enough altitude to get to the runway safely, typically when I'm over the threshold.

Good luck, I wish you well. It can be done. You will most likely beat it down some but that's normal.

If you feel nervous, enjoy it, that's the whole point. Have someone help you out and preferably fly it so you can see how it handles. "Cojones" are not shown because you maiden it by yourself for the first time, believe me it doesn't impress much. "Cojones" are shown when you live to fly another day.

Cheers,

David
Old 09-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

taking off will be easy, flying it will be pretty easy as well if your at 50% power.

landing ........not so easy
Old 09-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Q8SABRE
My Feedback: (3)

nervous is good moe. I hope you do well and come back to tell us
Old 09-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Moe142

Thanks guys I will!
Old 09-20-2006, 10:27 PM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I always do maidens at a full scale airport with 5000' of mistake or oh crap room. I also now use an Eagle Tree device. I just take note of the lift off speed, then note to self stay above that 20mph for first landing pattern.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:39 PM
DC1163
My Feedback: (16)

Moe,
I get nervous every time I maiden any plane (you never know what could happen), that being said when I first started flying jets I let a friend of mine maiden my first jet. He had experience with jets and I had not flown one. He then told me how he thought it flew and what I should watch for when I flew it.

The one thing you need to think about is if you are nervous is: Is it worth losing you jet and possibly causing damage to people or property if you get into trouble. There is nothing wrong with asking for help.

Good Luck
David
Old 09-21-2006, 03:52 AM
j.duncker

I have been flying RC for 40 + years and recently graduated to jets via a Baby Boomerang.

Delta disorientation, turbine spool times, speed and a short flight time are all new and real problems to deal with.

Swallow the pride and find an experienced jet jock to buddy box you through the first couple of flights . It will make your first flights more enjoyable and dramatically increase the likely hood of taking home an intact model.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:05 AM
Big Tony

ORIGINAL: j.duncker

I have been flying RC for 40 + years and recently graduated to jets via a Baby Boomerang.

Delta disorientation, turbine spool times, speed and a short flight time are all new and real problems to deal with.

Swallow the pride and find an experienced jet jock to buddy box you through the first couple of flights . It will make your first flights more enjoyable and dramatically increase the likely hood of taking home an intact model.
Seconded, plus you get the pleasure of buying a wren if you go that route

Ant
Old 09-29-2006, 10:03 PM
CARS II

Received 128 Likes on 111 Posts
Default RE: Kind of nervous to fly MAIDEN

Moe, did you maiden your Stingray? Report please...