Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Fastening wing to tubes. How to??

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Fastening wing to tubes. How to??

Old 02-06-2003, 02:50 PM
Whymee
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fastening wing to tubes. How to??

Was wondering how I could hold my wing on the tubes without bolting thru the wing at the midpoint. (UGLY!!)

These are my thoughts:

A.) Bury a dowel (foam/balsa construction) at the root rib of both wings & bolt it through the fuse into the dowel (using a brass insert).

B.) or using a small eye bolt use a spring attached to each root rib with the spring running across the center of the fuse.

C.) Make my alignment pins out of alum. & thread the ends for a nut. The front pin is awful hard to get at to put a nut on it .

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Pics if possible of your install please.

Thanks!!

Stan
Old 02-06-2003, 02:58 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

I just mounted a harwood piece in the middle of the wing (facing the fuse), and tapped it for 1/4-20, and used plastic 1/4-20 bolts from the inside of the fuse that tapped into the wing. This make sense?
Old 02-06-2003, 04:55 PM
Giant Scale

Method A will work.I would use two inserts one infront of the tube and one behind. A #8 or #10 bolt will work fine. You can also use the screw eyes in the root of the wing attached together with a turnbuckle.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:29 PM
Richo

Giday,

I have used several methods and so far the best I've seen is the system used on the Fiberclassics large scale models. They use the rotation dowl, threaded at the end. knerld nuts are used to hold the wings on. It's simple and works great, just dont forget to take the nuts with you when you go to the feild!!

Richo
Old 02-07-2003, 07:03 PM
BPKlein
My Feedback: (1)

I like the idea of the threaded anti-rotation (AR) pin in the Fiberclassics, but I don't like it in foam wings. I have seen numerous AR pins come out of the wing from repeatedly applying a twisting force from putting the nut on and off. I have put hard wood blocks in the root of the wing ( just behind the tube) and then bolted thru the fuse with no problems. I have also glued a dowel in the root of the wing with a piece of music wire attatched to it. The music wire is bent at a 90 degree angle and inserted in a hole drilled in the dowel. Then wrap the dowel/music wire with some dacron line and hit it with some thin CA. Aftre the CA dries the assembly can be ProBonded into the wing root. Now bend a hook in the other end of the music wire that will protrude into the fuse when the wings are installed. After the wings are pushed on the wing tube...stretch some rubber bands across the two hooks, or put a cable tie (zip tie) across the hooks.

Hope that makes since,

Bryan