Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Giant Twin Ideas

Old 02-17-2002, 11:12 PM
rcnats
My Feedback: (56)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Twin Ideas

I have a pair of K&B 65's. Any ideas for a giant twin? Either a kit or from plans. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:44 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Giant Twin Ideas

OV-10 Bronco, O2 Birdog (Cessna Skymaster), Dehaviland Mosquito, P38, F82 twin Mustang, take yer pick.

Vince
Old 02-20-2002, 07:18 PM
rbort
My Feedback: (4)

Default K&B 65?

The chance of a k&B 65 staying running for the duration of the flight is "Not very good"

The chance of two k&b 65's staying running together during the same period of time is "Not very good" x "Not very good" which is approaching "slim to none".

I think it might be a better idea to seperate those pair into different airframes, or, choose more reliable engines for the project.

Just my 2 cents worth based on my experience with K&B engines...

-=>Raja.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:06 PM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: K&B 65?

Originally posted by rbort
The chance of a k&B 65 staying running for the duration of the flight is "Not very good"

The chance of two k&b 65's staying running together during the same period of time is "Not very good" x "Not very good" which is approaching "slim to none".-=>Raja.
I must agree with Raja here - K&B's are notorious for being cantankerous...a one-engine burnout on a twin can be immediately catastrophic...happens so fast, your head swims!!

I would go with OS, personally, as I have NEVER in 15 years, seen a bad OS...I do fly other engines, for different reasons, but if I were to build another twin, any twin, I would go with the most reliable engines I could, and to me that is OS...

Have had 5 or 6 K&b's...not ONE was worth the postage to ship them to Siberia...Even had one that spent more time at K&B then it did at my house, and never DID run more than 6 minutes! Everything was checked, tank height, the fins were shaved (K&B said it ran too cool), then they replaced the head (they said it ran too hot!!), pump, regulator, another pump, no matter what, nothing ever worked on it - K&B got tired of playing with it, and sent me a new one...didn't run much better, but at least it ran lousy for 20 minutes...

Unless your K&B's are put together by Clarence Lee (which are outstanding), I wouldn't trust a "serious" plane to one...I use my two now for SPAD combat, only...if I have an engine to engine midair, I really don't feel bad
Old 02-20-2002, 09:06 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I have my eye..

on a big scale Britten-Norman Islander. I ordered the plans from Model Airplane News and plan on enlarging them a little for two .80 four strokes. The Islander makes a good twin since it doesn't have to have retracts to be scale, relatively easy to build, and supposedly has good flying characterisitics.
Tommy
Old 02-20-2002, 11:12 PM
SteveD-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 12' Twin Otter with 120 RCV's

I have a set of 80" plans for a Twin Otter 300 series that I'm considering blowing up to approximatly 12 feet.Sould weigh in around 25-30 lbs .I think these new 120 RCV would fit in nicely in the cowlings.Plus they are turning big props.Sounds like a good match maybe?..Steve
Old 02-10-2003, 03:02 PM
jneesy

Default Giant Twin Ideas

how could you ever get to owning 5 or 6 K&B's didn't you learn after 1 or 2 ? By the way I have a rcv 90 on a thunderbolt gotta love that engine
Old 02-10-2003, 03:03 PM
jneesy

Default Giant Twin Ideas

I just looked at the date for the last post boy thats reserrection!