Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Prop Guru's!!...Need Help??

Old 06-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Oh Yeah!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop Guru's!!...Need Help??

Hello,
I have the GP Pitts Special with the Fuji-50SB and have been experimenting with different props. The first prop was the APC 20x10 ... flies fast with good verticle, but is fast on approaches and landings and makes the plane a little nose heavy. Tried a wood prop(less than half the weight of the APC)Zinger Pro 22x10 ...pulls it good and slows down nicely on approaches and landings, with the CofG right on!! The only thing is, at full throttle the engine sags a little and the verticle is compromised. I like the way the Zinger pulls and slows the Pitts, but would like a little more verticle.

Have any of you guys cut a prop down? Do you think this would help a little?(more RPM)

I've noticed that most Prop Manufactures go from size 20 to 22. I'm thinking a 21 size(cutting the Zinger down to) will help the performance.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Phil
Old 06-17-2007, 12:16 AM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: Prop Guru's!!...Need Help??

Phil,
It sounds like the carb is slightly too large for the 22 inch prop. Did you try richening the high end a little? Another idea is to not allow the carb to open completely. Many people have trimmed down props to the next lower size. It will give you slightly more pitch at the tip then a stock prop, which will cause some drag. The Zinger Pro has a pointed tip and may not gain much, because of increased tip drag. If you recontoured the prop tip and shaped the airfoil, you would gain the most in my view. A tip cut at an angle like Topflite should work well.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13617.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	705474  
Old 06-17-2007, 04:30 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try the Fuji with a 22x8 prop. The sagging is an indication, that the engine is loaded too much by a heavy prop. Once properly run in, the sagging probably goes away, but fot the time being, it is not wise to overload the engine.
The smaller pitch also will slow down the plane better in the landing approach.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Hawk21
My Feedback: (7)

I will recomend using a menz 22x8, it will be better than a zinger or apc, also menz
are half inch less than what it states so a 22 will be a 21 1/2
Old 06-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Oh Yeah!!

Thanks guys!!
Old 06-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The props you have been using are not all that great for performance flying. That plus the Fuji 50 is not a 50 at all, but a bit smaller. No problem with that as long as the true displacement is a part of the prop size decision process. As Hawk21 mentioned, try a Menz 22-8 or a Xoar in the same size. The Menz will probably be a bit better. A 10 inch pitch prop will make for more speed in level flight so you might want to moce away from that.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:42 PM
Oh Yeah!!

I'll give the Menz 22-8 a try. Thanks!!