Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

2WD Savage?

Old 07-03-2007, 01:02 AM
_aaron_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2WD Savage?

Anyone removed the front driveshaft and ran their Savage in 2wd?

Good/Bad, besdies probably piss poor turning...
And all the power gogin to 2 tires vs 4...
Old 07-03-2007, 01:07 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2WD Savage?

I did it last year. The truck was a little faster and it turned a ton better, but it would skid under hard braking and I had to feather the throttle to keep the truck under control in the dirt. On pavement it was a lot of fun though because it would just fly down the street. It was fun and all, but I have since put it back to 4WD. When I had mine 2WD I pulled out the front dogbones and front driveshaft.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:12 AM
SpikeX

I converted my Savage XDrag to 2WD a few weeks ago. I removed the dogbones, differential, centre dogbone, bearings, and cup joints to save weight (since it is a drag racer). The total weight saving came to 207g (about 4% the overall weight of the truck).

However, I have not had a chance to drive it yet, but I will get back to you as soon as I find some spare time to drive it in. From just pushing it on the floor, there is a lot less resistance than with 4WD, and the front wheels will keep on spinning for ages when I spin them with my hand.

The only downside I see is the braking performance. I have the HPI Dual Disc Brake Set, and when I tap the brakes, the rear wheels just lock up and skid (and this is only when I push it on the ground).
Old 07-03-2007, 03:50 AM
xkev

yes realy fun I have the x f4.1 and I put the 18 clucht bell and it was faster , wheelies on demande ,not and not braking ,on the pavement it's hard on the center dogbone and the c cup , on dirt realy fun ,donnut , It's worth a try have fun
Old 07-03-2007, 11:11 PM
CWC

2wd is very fun and I really like it, to bad the rear diff won't last long
Old 07-04-2007, 01:10 AM
SpikeX

ORIGINAL: CWC

to bad the rear diff won't last long
Yeah, that's why I put an X SS Diff in there. [8D]
Old 07-04-2007, 08:29 AM
SAVAGEJIM

To compensate for the breaking performance lost, would it be possible to mount brake discs and calipers to the left anr right read dog bones instead? That way you will get the stopping performance of brakes from both wheels. I guess you will have to run linkage cables to these calipers at the suspension arms (like the 5th scale 4-dic brake set-up of large scale trucks).

Fabricating the hardware might be a challenge. Creating hardware to also mount and hold the dic to the drive dogbone, the hardware to hold the caliper assemble to the suspension arm, and making it variable position so the brake disc and calipers stay in proper position in relation to each other as the suspension arms move up and down, etc. will all need to be accounted for.

Alternatively, disc brakes at the hex hubs of each wheel. But I do not know if the spacial limitations will allow this an the hub and axle carrier and uprights.

If this is feasible, put this into your list of "What would you like to see" things, this would trulely be useful for making a Savage better!
Old 07-04-2007, 05:26 PM
xkev

that would be a lot of work it would be better to use the front center dogbone and put a brake on it so you will have four wheel brake if you use locker front and rear if not you will have at least one of the two wheel brake in front and rear but using the front diff and dog bone will be a bit more heavy , because when I use my truck 2 wheel drive I take all the extra in the front ( diff, dog bone bearing ) so it make it lighter and wheelies on demande .

wow i think I'm going to try that went i get home ( in august , or during the winter so I will have a lot of time to make it work )