Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Noob Crawler with WK

Old 09-23-2007, 07:12 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Noob Crawler with WK

Yea, I just pulled the beads of the Moabs to be inside the wheel beads, they aren't glued and I'm glad because the stock WK tires do better than the Moabs. I gotta say I am unimpressed with the Moabs, and it may be due to my sufaces not being rocky or just because the stockers have more width and height.

Next try is some redrocks.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:59 AM
guver

The redrocks are pretty good , I have an idea it is because they are taller. I wound up trying it out with the buggy wheels and have since widened it out to max width or 12.5 inches. Now I'm at max WB and max width.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73178.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	768329  
Old 09-25-2007, 08:19 AM
nickrummy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow can't believe I missed your thread Guver! So does this mean you are ready to come out for a GTG? We just had a comp last Saturday and we're having another Saturday the 13th of October. We had a guy from Canton come up that has never been in a comp before and he had a blast! He wants to come out whenever we get together now.

Trucks looking good! Moabs don't seem to like the rocks in ohio. Everyones running either losi claws or mashers and those seem to have the best traction.

As for track width and narrowed wheels. You really have to find that sweet spot. The wider the rig, the more stable but that can make your turning radius worse and make it harder to get through tighter gates. It's all a give or take. Narrow rims are good because that pulls the bead of the tire in which helps bring tread over to the side walls. It also allows the side wall to flex more. Skinnier tires will give you more weight on the contact point to the ground. More weight equals more traction. This is also a give or take. Obviously if you have a tire that is only 1/2" wide it won't stay on top of obstacles easy, but if you have a 3" wide tire your weight is spread across it which will hinder traction on climbs if you don't have wheel speed.

I'm heading out the medina to the run the truggy this saturday if you want to stop out! I'll bring my WK.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:34 PM
guver

Yes, I'm ready pretty much, I'll come out with my redrocks sometime and try them out. I won't be able to make the 13th though.

That's a good explanation and makes a lot of sense.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:26 PM
nickrummy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How far are you from Copley? I get out of work at 5pm and there is place to crawl here. That's where our Comp will be.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:42 PM
guver

Copley is about 50-60 minutes from me.