Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Computer matching paint

Old 04-14-2003, 04:50 PM
RightThrust
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer matching paint

When taking a paint shop a sample of covering to computer match, should it be just the covering alone or should it be ironed on a piece of wood. The paint for my 40% Carden Extra was matched by itself, not ironed on a piece of wood and it came out too light, the cowl and gear/pants/cuffs is getting sanded back down now and we need to figure out why this came out so bad, the color is metallic red. The metallic plum came out absolutely perfect. We figured it was because the sample was not ironed on a piece of wood, would this really make this big of a difference? This is PPG paint BTW.

-Kelly
Old 04-14-2003, 07:51 PM
spuck5644

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint Match

You should always try to replicate the area to be matched, i.e. if ironed on covering, then iron it on a pc of scrap. Also, you can have very large color disparity from the color of the primer. Best case may be the light tan color primer to duplicate the wood.
good Luck,
Steve
Old 04-14-2003, 08:40 PM
wgeffon

Steve,
Can you guys match any color on my Carden?
Lets say I want to use a metalic or a pearl covering. Can that be done with the paint you guys use?
Old 04-15-2003, 02:01 PM
spuck5644

Default Paint

Wayne,
We have always had good luck with the "Chroma-Vision" matches, but only because the guys will take the time to "tweak" it after the computer match. On Chris' Cingular G-202 they tried about a dozen times, threw away a LOT of paint, and finally gave up on the flouresent orange,,,but that has been thir only failure. Pearls are tough and the metallics are more a function of how it is shot/agitated while going on. I'll give them a call abt the Pearls and post later.
Steve
Old 04-15-2003, 02:08 PM
spuck5644

Default Match!

I just got off the phone with the DuPont guys. They said it shouldn't be a problem, (I promised I wouldn't bring them Flouresent Orange), hehehe
Decide what the Carden wants and send me a sample.
Steve
Old 04-15-2003, 02:18 PM
wgeffon

Thanks Steve..

I am clueless right now as to how I want to finish the Extra as far a scheme. But, for example, I really like the metallic blue color that is on my Cap. Just wanted to know if that kinda match is possible aand it sounds like it is. Thanks!

We are months away from paint on this thing anyway.

In the meantime, I will just have to fly Chris's 40%'er.