Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

How to download/use models for FMS

Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

How to download/use models for FMS

Old 03-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Dynamo Hum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to download/use models for FMS

Ok, to all those out there who know more about computers than I do (most everyone, I suspect)... I set up FMS off the CD included with my new Honeybee and it only includes about 6 models. I've found a few sites that have other models for downloading, and I've heard there are many others. Some reference zipped or compressed files. Does Win XP have a way to do this, or do I need to acquire something to "unzip" files? And then, where do I put these downloaded files and how do I add them to FMS?

Thanks, Greg
Old 03-16-2008, 03:29 PM
broke_n_bummin

Default RE: How to download/use models for FMS

http://www.rc-sim.de/
You'll have to register to download, but registration is free. When you download the models, most will be .zip files. You can either unzip then to your \FMs\model directory, or you can make a new folder in the \FMS\model folder.
For .zip files, you can either download winzip or if you have Windows 2K or later, wildows will decompress it. I would suggest winzip ( www.winzip.com ) or 7zip ( www.7-zip.org ).
The easiest way to do it is when you click on the file and it asks if you want to open it or save it, click open, then just unzip it to the \FMS\Model directory
Old 03-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Dynamo Hum

broke.. thanks for that, I'm working on it. I registered at rc-sim... they said my code was sent via e-mail... haven't received it yet.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:16 PM
flyX

If you click on the link on the home page it'll get you to other sites
click on model's lab and experiments.

You don't have to extract models or sceneries into FMS.
Just create another folder and drag and drop all the files from the zip into the new folder.

Name it accordingly...make a main folder, sub-folders...for veriouse types of models.
You can store the folders anywhere..even on a Disc or external drive.
Do not zip them.

While in FMS..when you want to fly the models
Click on the little arrow pionting down on the right hand side.
Then you'll see a path tree.
Select your path accordingly. FMS can retrive files from anywhere as long as they are not zip.
Which is pretty cool

The only model and scenery you must leave in the FMS's model and land scape folder are
the sukio and the world scenery. This acts as a defult incase something gose wrong or you
move your model/scenery files from place to place.

WARNING !!!!
You must convert all of the images files (excluding the _prv ....preview) into 24bit .bmp,
if you download more sceneries. If you don't, it might crash your PC or at the very least error.
FMS use 24bit .bmp files to render texture for model or sceneries.
If the authure's converted them to .jpg files to reduce the memory size for quick downloads.
You must convert them back into .bmp
This is why it's better to make a seperate folder for each model or scenery incase you want to modifiy them.
If you don't and extract all your files into one folder, after a while you'll have thousands of files in one folder.
You'll have a hard time sorting through them later...if you want to adjust the model's physic..and etc.

Turn OFF the fog while in photolistic Mode.
Photolistic sceneries only works with the lastest version , 2.85