Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Problem with Hangar 9 33% Edge & horiz stab tubes

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Problem with Hangar 9 33% Edge & horiz stab tubes

Old 12-12-2007, 08:46 PM
d3stro
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Hangar 9 33% Edge & horiz stab tubes

I took the edge out of the box to check it out and see how it looks. When I was putting the horizontal stabs on, I could only get the right to go over both of the tubes. The front tube seems to be aligned wrong in the fuselage, preventing the left stab from going onto it. It is off by at least 1/16". Has anyone else had a problem like this? Should I call horizon or is there something that I am missing? I already posted in Mike McConville's subforum but i would also like to hear what everyone else has to say about it.

Here is a picture of the left stab.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53913.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	824413  
Old 12-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Columbo
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Problem with Hangar 9 33% Edge & horiz stab tubes

I just had a similar problem with my h9 33% cap that I just received a few weeks ago. Turns out in my
case it wasn't an alignment issue. I shined a pin light down the tube to see if there was anything blocking.
Sure enough. A small rogue pice of wood was sticking into the tube socket. Rather than try to remove it, I
just manually forced the tube into the socket. So, first see if there is anything in the tube socket that could
be causing the problem.

Greg
Old 12-12-2007, 10:39 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not easily fixed. I'd get a new fuse. Horizon is good for it I'm sure.

Can you get both stabs on the tubes with the tubes out of the fuse? Do the stab holes line up when you butt one against the other (without the tubes)? This would isolate the problem to the fuse if everything lines up except when in the fuse.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:07 PM
d3stro

When i put the stabs together without the fuselage they fit perfectly. The problem only happens when the tubes are in the fuselage.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:43 PM
Albatross
My Feedback: (7)

d3stro

I recall having a similar problem with my H9 Edge 33%.

Depending on how large is the misalignment (you mentioned 1/16) I can't recall how far off my stab tubes were.
I am going to try to explain what I did and how I was able to set all the assembly in place:

1) As you are inserting the tubes through the fuse, don't inserted them all the way in and sticking out as your picture shows.
2) Fix both stab tubes to one of the Horz. Stabs. Let's call halve A. Only one of them is fixed with the 4-40 screw.
3) Then insert the halve “Aâ€, slide both tubes just enough to cross the other side of the fuse. They should stick only 1/2 inch or so.
4) Now try to insert the other Horiz. Stab. (Lets call it halve “Bâ€).
5) Gently start inserting both halves this way, by paying attention on not to apply way to much pressure.
5) And voila, you have them fully inserted all the way in “A†and “Bâ€.

Again, depends on how far off the tube vs. hole are. Of course, this technique may not work if they are truly far off.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:05 AM
d3stro

I will try to do that tomorrow. How long did it take to get it aligned?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Albatross
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: d3stro

I will try to do that tomorrow. How long did it take to get it aligned?
As far as I recall it may take 4 weekends in the row I struggled a little bit, then the insertion of the tubes was very easy.

I guess there is a wearing process as you are inserting and removing the tubes for each flying session.
There must be a perfect alignment and I agree.
However just a slight deviation and the tubes will start diverging each other. I guess the longer they stick out the more pronounced is the angle, that's why I recommended inserting the tubes they way I described.

Whether or not is a building flaw? May be.
I had no choice other than try this way, returning the fuse to Horizon would be way too much expensive for me since I would pay an international shipping & handling plus importation/exportation fees.

Another point, before glueing the elevators to each stab, check them for any wrap or twisting.
I glued them when it was too late. Later on was hard for me to align them up.

This is causing issues for precision flying. I ruled out other factors and the only one that remains is the elevators, they don’t align each other. And is not due to servo travel adjustment. They are wrapped. That is definitely a manufacturing issue.

BTW, roll the tubes in flat surface, if the tubes are bent you will notice that inmediatly. Hard to see, however this also may cause the problem.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:38 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone considered talking directly with Horizon yet? That question was asked in the first post and nobody followed up on it. Of course you should call Horizon.

All kit quality issues should always be brought to the attention of the manufacturer before discussing it in public. They may not be aware of a problem and would like to know about it so they can check it out themselves.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:55 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

I've seen this on one of my own models in the past but never so severe that the stab couldnt be put on using the method Albatross outlined above. Thats exactly correct. If you can get it on, it shouldnt be an issue. There are always going to be some slight variances in production, but of course if its so severe that you cant get the stab on the fuse, justcall our Producr Support folks and theyll get you what you need to make it right.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:14 PM
d3stro

I spoke with someone at horizon and he said that they will send out two stabs to see if they were the problem. So I should have them in about 3 weeks and then i will be able to see if that works.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:38 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Stabs are very unlikely to be the problem.

Do you know who you spoke with?
Old 12-13-2007, 03:01 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

Stabs are very unlikely to be the problem.
Nice service Mike. Very respectable I must say (and I AM being 100% sincere here).
Old 12-13-2007, 06:15 PM
d3stro

I do not know the person's name that i spoke with. He was kind of hard to understand at times and didn't really seem to listen to what i tried to explain. I also just found out that i bent the front stab tube while trying to get both stabs on. (I checked it 2 days ago and both were fine) Should I call back and try to talk to somebody else?
Old 04-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Mr. Mugen

I too had the same problem. I made the ends of the tubes very smooth and played with them over and over until I got them to insert fine. It was a few day battle to get them to go in both holes right. I did not break the tube or bend it what so ever. Mostly just lots of light sanding and installing and removing over and over. I also use a small bit of powdered graphite.

How did it pan out for you?

Kevin