Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

new to Clods got a few ?s

Old 04-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Big Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to Clods got a few ?s

hey guys, im really sorry if this topic is beat to death. i looked around and didnt see anything that really applied. I will be receiving an older Clod 4x4x4 (probably early 90s?). Its my friends old RC and me and him tried working on it a few years ago (I was new to RC) and we couldnt get it workin right. My question is pretty simple really. I was just wondering what a decent single ESC for dual motors or dual ESCs that would be good with the stock clod motors or with some 20-27 turn stock motors. I have a DuraTrax Blast, would that be safe to use with the two stock motors? Another question would be is if I wanted to go brushless with it what modifications would be necessary to keep it low-maintenance to maintenance free? I'm not lookin to make this thing a speed demon or anything but wouldnt mind for it to be decently quick. Also i think one of the steering servos is out, what servos would you guys recommend for the truck? Last but not least if i were to run any of these configurations ( single or dual ESC) how many channel Tx Rx system would i need?

sorry for all the ?s lol
Old 04-18-2008, 08:41 AM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: new to Clods got a few ?s

Basically running two motors is as if running one with half of the turns(ex. if you run two 24 turns it has about the same draw as one 12 turn motor).
Old 04-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Big Z

anyone have any information on the other questions?
Old 04-19-2008, 04:43 PM
The Mad Modder

How much are you willing to spend on an ESC?
Old 04-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Big Z

as little as possible honestly. for the most part id really like to just get the thing running but at the same time it would be awesome to spend money once and make it really pretty fast (ie BL lol). I have been looking into an E-maxx set up for it. 2 12T titans and the EVX or EVX-2 ESC
Old 04-20-2008, 06:19 AM
The Mad Modder

I suppose that you could get one of these.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPCU5&P=SM
They're $80 oppose to a evx2 which is $115.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Big Z

thats not too bad looking but what about the comments section where it says "COMMENTS: Always use the GT550 Motor. Using other motors may damage the speed
controller"
Old 04-20-2008, 07:42 PM
The Mad Modder

Not sure if it will handle 12 turns. As it comes the evx2 won't handle 12 turns, but if you use high current connector it works.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSLU9&P=ML
Just because tower says it won't work doesn't mean that they're right.
I've caught mistakes by them plenty of times.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Big Z

i dont see why the EVX-2 wouldnt work with dual 12T since it is the ESC that comes in the e-maxx... also i would be running deans connectors, so high current connectors wouldnt be a problem

edit: nm i read the description of the EVX2 again and saw about the connectors.. yeah id be running deans anyway so i dont see why i wouldnt be fine
Old 04-21-2008, 08:26 PM
603kid
My Feedback: (35)

Here are the specs directly from the EVX addendum on the Traxxas web site:

Specifications
Input Voltage (1.2VDC/cell) ......................................12 cells (14.4 volts DC)
Case Width .................................................. ..............................1.75 inches
Case Depth .................................................. ..............................2.17 inches
Case Height .................................................. ............................0.85 inches
Weight (w/o heat sinks) .................................................. ............3.5 ounces
Motor Limit .................................................. ..19 turns minimum (550 size)
On-Resistance–Forward (@Trans) .................................................. 0.006 Ω
On-Resistance–Reverse (@Trans) .................................................. 0.006 Ω
Rated Current–Forward .................................................. ..............160 amps
Rated Current–Reverse .................................................. ..............160 amps
Braking Current .................................................. ..........................320 amps
Continuous Current (@100°F amb.)............................................. ...30 Amps
Reverse Delay (after Smart Braking) ......................................Zero Seconds
BEC Voltage .................................................. ............................5.0 volts DC
BEC Current .................................................. ................................1.5 amps
Power Wire .................................................. ..................................14G / 9”
Input Harness .................................................. ..............................26G / 9”
Switch Harness .................................................. ............................26G / 6”
Transistor Type .................................................. ......................HYPERFET III
PWM Frequency......................................... .................................1000 Hertz
Protection .................................................. ....................Thermal Shutdown
For technical assistance regarding your EVX,
call 888-TRAXXAS or 800-323-0069 (U.S. residents only).
For orders, calls outside the U.S., and other information,
call 972-265-8000, or fax at 972-265-8011.
E-Mail Traxxas at [email protected]
www.TRAXXAS.com
Traxxas 1100