Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

EDF Fly Eagle Rafale Ducting

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

EDF Fly Eagle Rafale Ducting

Old 06-25-2008, 10:04 AM
jentres
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDF Fly Eagle Rafale Ducting

Klenke,

I know you ordered this also when I talked to you at Fentress. I got mine in but how in the world do you get the bifurcated section into the jet? It is way bigger than the turbine exhaust pipe. I am sure not going to cut the airplane. It looks like the ducting has to be installed during production.

Thanks,

Tres Lowry
Old 06-25-2008, 10:30 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: EDF Fly Eagle Rafale Ducting

Hey Tres,

I actually haven't gotten my Rafael yet. It should be here in a week or so and I'll take a look. If it won't slide right in, then I guess we'll have to figure out how to section it and then re-assemble inside the airplane. Maybe two sections, fore and aft, like the ducting for the JHH A-7?

Bob
Old 06-25-2008, 10:41 AM
jentres

Bob,

Sounds good. It already comes in 2 sections, the bifurcated rear section is the problem. It will take some creativity to get in there. I will hold up on mine until I hear back from you on yours. Hope all is well.

Later,

Tres
Old 06-25-2008, 10:48 AM
meps
My Feedback: (10)

Tres, you have to use a shoe horn(smile) What's up man?
Steve
Old 06-25-2008, 11:36 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Would it not install the same way as the stainless steel pipe? You install it from the back of the jet, with the rear center piece off it all slid in very easily, I would think a fiberglass bifurcated pipe for an EDF should be able to be squeezed much further than the stainless one to insert it? Just guessing as mine is the turbine version, but that's how the pipe goes in on it, through the back end.
Jeremy
Old 06-25-2008, 12:05 PM
jentres

Whats Up Steve!!!

Jeremy,

The EDF pipe at the start of the bifurcation is bigger than the turbine pipe and bigger than the exhaust nozzles on the kit itself. You would have to cut a hatch out of the bottom of the airplane. I tried it in my FEJ F-15 and it would work great!!! I dont think 12 -14 pounds of thrust will fly it though!!! I may have to put a P60 SE in the Rafale. I will let Bob make the decision for me on this one when he tries his.

Steve,

The Wren would work well in this

Tres
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48729.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	978255  
Old 06-25-2008, 12:17 PM
rhklenke

Hey guys,

Mine is going to fly on the Schubler fan, one way or the other!
I'll figure out a way to get it in there...

I'm off to Kentucy Jets next week, but Mike Lin said that mine should ship out from CA either this week or next, and as soon as I get it, I'll figure out how to get the pipe in there...

Bob
Old 06-25-2008, 12:25 PM
jentres

I have been bamboozled!!!! Just joking. This is a nice bifurcated pipe, but heavy. It will not hardly budge when I try to squeeze it. The weight will definitely help to offset the batteries up front. I got faith in you Bob to figure this one out. Enjoy your trip and drive safely!!!!

Tres
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50344.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	978270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16077.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	978271  
Old 06-25-2008, 01:44 PM
meps
My Feedback: (10)

I wouldn't mind having a rafale but right now my money is funny. Still re- couping from my wedding. Man, that's a huge tail pipe. Maybe they sent a tailpipe to something else.
Steve
Old 06-25-2008, 03:49 PM
rhklenke

No, that's the right one...

For the JHH A-7, I split the second duct section (the one right aft of the fan) down the middle (along the longitudinal axis) so that I could roll it tight and get it to slip inside the aft section. Then you slide if forward and screw it to the fan. There is a poly-ply "lip" that you then screw in to seal the split and make the duct rigid. Something like that should work for the Rafale...

Bob
Old 06-25-2008, 10:24 PM
teamkaos

Hi Tres

I've orderd one of these which should arrive today. I plan to ditch the edf ducting and use a single straight duct and modify the rear end to suit. Sort of like the Comp arf Euro. I know it wont be scale but I think the efficiency gain with a single pipe will be worthwhile. Also weight saving from what you said about the layup of the stock pipe.

Is there anything on the inlet side or are not ducts supplied here? What is your impression of the weight of the model?

Cheers

Rod
Old 06-26-2008, 07:23 AM
jentres

Rod,

Nothing on the inlet side. These kits are super nice!! They are a tad heavy, but they were designed for turbines. I will probably use an inlet ring on the fan, not ideal but it works. I know of somebody who will probably design some intake ducts. Your idea of a straight pipe like the Euro will definitely work well and be an easy modification. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Tres