Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RAM Auto Start ECU Question

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RAM Auto Start ECU Question

Old 05-24-2003, 09:14 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RAM Auto Start ECU Question

It has been almost two years since my RAM Auto-start days. I can no longer remember the details. Today, SeanReit came by and we ran that SimJet 1700 that he has with a RAM auto start ECU. I aborted the first start when I clearly heard, just after Sean pressed the run button, the propane valve pulsing, releasing start gas (Powermax). It does this for a few seconds and then engages the starter motor. Then on the second cycle of the starter motor, the solenoid releases more gas, the glow plug lights and she autostarts just fine every time. But my question is this: why in the heck does it open the gas the first time for? Just to waste gas? There are no RPMs and no fire to the plug yet, so it is a waste of time. Sean also said that is the exact same way that his 1000 works. I must have had earlier auto start software cause I do not remember this. Any clues out there? Thanks.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:12 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAM start sequence

wocketman,
Here's how Albert explained it to me.
When the gas valve pulses at the beginning of the start sequence, it is purging all of the air from the gas line to the combustor, and replacing it with Powermax gas.
The valve opens fully at 1800 rpm during spooldown, the ignition is turned on for one second, and the fire lights. The starter motor re-engages, the fuel ramp-up starts, and away we go.
The start sequence wouldn't be as smooth without the air purge cycle.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
Old 06-11-2003, 11:48 PM
Woketman

OK, thanks!
Old 06-12-2003, 10:48 AM
Carlos RTI
My Feedback: (1)

I took care of Sean's engine at MS Afterburner and he has been enjoying the heck out of it.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:52 AM
Woketman

Yeah, Carlos knew exactly what we needed to change to get that Simjet running just right. Sean had many many fault free flights on it. Thanks again Carlos!
Old 06-12-2003, 11:10 AM
Carlos RTI
My Feedback: (1)

anytime buddy...hope to see you soon!