Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Top Gun Rule Explained....For those who care.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Top Gun Rule Explained....For those who care.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:06 AM
FTiano
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Gun Rule Explained....For those who care.

Because there are so many opinions about the Top Gun ruled deductions and additions I thought perhaps if I took the time to explain the "intent" of the rules it might give some sort of reasonable explanation to those who truly care and to those who the rules affect. It's gona be lengthy, but I have no shorter way of doing it.
It all started when the first all composite jets hit the scene. Top Gun static judges made observations that the skin texture, panel line detail, rivel detail and overall construction of the model was about flawless. Far different from the many other models constructed from balsa wood, fiberglassed, sanded, primed etc. We tracked scores for a couple of years and saw the trend of jets winning just about every award in site, when flown by an accomplished pilot. Not that the flight scores were so much higher, but because the static score were so much higher, especially in the "Craftsmanship" category.
So, the first year we introduced the "deductions" we aimed at the all composite jet model. BUT, to make the "hit" a little more pallatable, we decided to apply the percentage of deduction to the Flight Score instead of the Static Score so that the deduction would not remain a constant value throughtout the event. In other words, 2% of a 96 static score is a far greater deduction that 2% of a 91 flight score. There you have the basis of WHY the deductions were started.
As we tracked scores for a few more years, it became obvious to the judges, and to me, that in anything but ideal wind conditions, the Jets were truly a better platform for winning. They were heavier, handled adverse weather better, tracked better and in most all cases were the result of tried and proven airframes. We tried different applications of deductions and bonuses to "level" the playing field. Finally, in 2008, we had a week of perfect weather for the WW1 type aircraft and one of those homely biplanes almost won the whole thing. A wake up call? YES! So we went back to the drawing board and after polling almost every previous Top Gun competitor, we came up with the current set of applications. The reasoning still concerns the perfect, composite airframe, but it also takes into consideration the FACT that ALL tail draggers, especially lightly loaded ones like WW1 biplanes, tend to weathervane into the wind and make a perfect takeoff, smooth fly-bys or "on the centerline" landing, quite a feat. Tricycle landing gear aircraft are not effected the same way. So that's the reasoning. I am not posting this because I want anyone's approval, just to afford all that care, a better understanding of why.
As far as the statement about "Cheating" from the Jet community, I am SO SORRY, But IT's TRUE! I did NOT say that everyone was cheating, but it grew to be rampant and we had no guidelines as to how to check. As told to me by reps from Futaba, JR and Multiplex, IF someone wished to use multiple gyros and did not want anyone to discover it, it was an easy task to hide their use. Different Power Boxes have gyros built in, separate gyros can be hiden within the model and activated by who knows what switch and so on. This was being orchestrated by Jet modelers. EVERY protest filed came from one Jet Pilot against another Jet Pilot, every single one of them. So they were blaming each other! We simply had no choice but to succomb to the cheaters and make it fair and legal to all to use what ever they wanted. Do I like it? NO. But until someone gives me an alternative, it's going to have to be this way. For those who don't know, the rule stated that a Gyro was allowed on Rudder and Nose steering only. A few people figured out that some aircraft, especially straight wing, or not severely swept wing, jets can really benefit from one on ailerons as well! From what I understand, during Fly-Bys, a gyro on elevator was extremely efective in getting higher scores as well!
So, That's it. Hopefully this will help some in their moment of grief. I am always happy to explain, especially when given the chance.
Thanks,
FT
Old 11-11-2008, 09:33 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Top Gun Rule Explained....For those who care.

Frank,

Thank you for the well thought out, clear explanation. It's a shame that guys have to stoop to the level that they feel it is so important...that they cheat. What a shame.

I was thinking...why not just ban the cheaters? Instead of rolling over and letting the inmates run the prison...so to speak...just make it clearly stated in the rules that "if caught violating the gyro rule, you will be banned from my competitions (Top-Gun and Florida Jets) for life". That will definitely raise the stakes and make those who do cheat think twice. Also, you should have a qualified inspector or two on staff to do "protest inspections" to see if any violations are truly happening. That should not be too hard to set up...and if honestly enforced (no more "halo factor" as we call it in other arenas) the crap would stop. The protesting pilots would also make good references on where to look for offending equipment...as the other guys you are flying against would know better than anyone else where to look.

It's just a thought...unless you truly don't mind everyone using them. In that case...everyone from a Milk Stool to a Thunderbolt to a Thunder Chief...games on!

See you, John and Arty in March,

Beave

Old 11-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Dave Matthews

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good post Frank. . . . 100%.

See you when I get this new model done for TG.

Dave
Old 11-11-2008, 10:04 AM
FTiano
My Feedback: (11)

Beave,

The reason we did not just disqualify people is because even the radio manufacturers could not give us a solid method
of determining when a contestant was using more than one gyro! The fact that some were "protested" by their constituents
does not make it "proof". I imagine there are some pilots who simply do not need a gyro and there may be others that
totally rely on them for some maneuvers. Bottom line, either we figure out a way to determine "if and when" someone is bending the
rules or we just open it up for anyone to do what they want. Yes it is a shame but we see no other choice. For Now, at least.
FT
Old 11-11-2008, 10:15 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Frank,

Thanks for the update. It is pretty sad when people who don't have the required skills (Not that I do either) would rather cheat then take the time to practice so they could actually become better pilots. No reflection on you...but many look at Top-Gun as "The best of the best"...but I guess it really was becoming "The best of the best...and the rest who don't get caught cheating" until you decided to open up the gyro rules.

A sad day indeed...

Beave

ORIGINAL: FTiano

Beave,

The reason we did not just disqualify people is because even the radio manufacturers could not give us a solid method
of determining when a contestant was using more than one gyro! The fact that some were "protested" by their constituents
does not make it "proof". I imagine there are some pilots who simply do not need a gyro and there may be others that
totally rely on them for some maneuvers. Bottom line, either we figure out a way to determine "if and when" someone is bending the
rules or we just open it up for anyone to do what they want. Yes it is a shame but we see no other choice. For Now, at least.
FT
Old 11-11-2008, 10:50 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: bevar

Frank,

Thanks for the update. It is pretty sad when people who don't have the required skills (Not that I do either) would rather cheat then take the time to practice so they could actually become better pilots. No reflection on you...but many look at Top-Gun as "The best of the best"...but I guess it really was becoming "The best of the best...and the rest who don't get caught cheating" until you decided to open up the gyro rules.

A sad day indeed...

Beave

Same thing with the builder of the model rule, over the years there have been guys that have competed in any number of scale competitions that did not build their own airplanes but said they did. (Not singling out any individuals or events here) those guys knew they had done it as well as others that knew these guys were not builders. If you have a competition......someone is going to cheat!

Flame Suit ON

DR
Old 11-11-2008, 11:29 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

David,
We all know that your training of your dogs "with the heavy hands" to chew and paw your jets to give them the weathered looked is both breaking the rules and inhumane. Please stop using your dogs to help you get a better "scale appearance".
Im sure your at home right now trying to teach them how to build and paint, not using positive reinforsement.
Your are not the Dog whisperer!!!
Scott
Old 11-11-2008, 11:43 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Scott,

I am starting to get a complex now! I have been busted but wrongly accused! I did not have sex with that......oh wait a minute....wrong subject. It does not matter someone is going to cheat no matter what type of competition you have! BTW my dogs are n't weathering my airplanes I beat the he ll out of them all on my own!

On second thought.....if I could get my dogs to build and paint I might actually get my F-100 finished before it's 10 years old!
Old 11-11-2008, 12:51 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I never get to excited about the rule changes at Top Gun. Frank's been doing this a long time, he knows what he is doing and who are we to critisize(Oh wait this is the internet). This is his show, he runs it the ways he see's fairest and if it doesnt fit, then don't go.
Frank addressed the builder of the model rule with the advent of the Pro AM class and now he is addressing the gyro situation accordingly. I dont know what the solution is to evening the playing field between different aircraft is but he is actively pursueing the answer.
Like David said, with every competition there will be people trying to get ahead and often that will be by cheating. Pretty soon you will be able to flip a switch and your plane will takeoff and land by itself. Unfortunately I will have to wait til then to have a real chance of winning.[]
I commend Frank for addressing the issues and trying to stay ahead of the game and give those of us who want to participate an experience we will always remember.
Scott

David
We would all love for you to finish your F100. A "David Reid" camo would be awesome!

Old 11-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

"leveling the playing field" is a constant ongoing challenge in many arenas......NASCAR comes to mind with every changing rules (some bizzarre..) to move the competition from the checkbook to the track....... I guess TOPGUN is now in good company - for better or worse.