Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Flight time of J-3?

Old 11-11-2008, 06:07 PM
w7wv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flight time of J-3?

I am looking at the E-Flite J-3 with the recommended 25 motor and 4200 mAh li-po battery pack for it.
Just curious, on average what kind of flight time can you typically expect from something like this in electric?
And with an optimum charger, what time is required to recharge the battery pack?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Dsegal

Default RE: Flight time of J-3?

If you know the current draw of the motor and prop for this plane you can calculate the run time. 4.2amp-hour pack capacity divided by amps current x 60 = minutes estimated run time. Of course, less than full throttle will give a longer run. Lipo packs take an hour to charge.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:22 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I've found that if you calculate the run time based on batt capacity divided by max Amps (as described above), I can typically go 1.5 to 2 times that long with my typical flying style. It all depends on how much you get on your throttle.

For example, my Stryker draws 24A max, and I have a 2100mAh pack (2.1Ah) so I can get 2.1Ah/24A=87.5e-3 hours or about 5.25 minutes of flight time at full throttle. However, the way I usually fly it, I can get 7-8 minutes out of it. With a different type of plane (not a speed plane like the Stryker), I could easily stretch the flight time to 10 minutes with a similar setup.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:52 PM
patnchris

I fly a .25 E-flight Ultra Stik on 4S 4000 ma packs. while I've never flown to LVC, I can honestly say that I have gotten 15 minutes without a problem. This is, however flying with some throttle management. The plane flys at half throttle and does good aerobatics at 3/4 throttle. I only hit WOT for 10-15 seconds at a time and then not very often......Pat