Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

what gas engine for WM extra

Old 06-02-2003, 02:43 AM
twister
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what gas engine for WM extra

I am flying a wm extra 80" with a 2.10 moki, it weighs about 15 pounds complete, the thing flys awesome but im looking to get into a gasser and was wondering what would be a good size gasser for it? thanks
Old 06-02-2003, 05:51 AM
ShoestringRacer

The 40cc and 50cc seem to be the norm on that plane. I have heard alot of people using the ZDZ, but that doesnt mean other brands are not good too. Check out the HUGE thread in the ARF forum for the Patty Wagstaff 300s. There is more than enough info there. I have a ZDZ 40 on back order waiting to get mounted in a WM GS P-51. cant wait to get it.

FYI, the GP manual shows the installation for the Fuji BT 50 in the Patty 300s Extra but that engine does weigh more than the ZDZ and other brand engines with electronic ignition.

Go for gas; just think how much $$ you will save in fuel!!
Old 06-02-2003, 06:41 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any good 50cc gasser would work well. I've flown a WM Extra with a ZDZ50. Performance is similar to my Midwest Extra with a 52cc Brison 3.2.

http://www.rcsites.net/flyfalcons/RyansMWExtra.wmv
Old 06-02-2003, 10:32 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

I second that. Any good 50 gasser will be great in that plane. You will be happier with the 50 but a 40 will work also.

I have a BME 50 on my GP extra. A friend has the WM extra with a BME 50 also.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:14 PM
AMA-69405
My Feedback: (22)

Twister:

I fly the WM 300S at 16.8 lbs dry, using an FPE 3.2 (52cc) engine. Plenty of power, will pull out of a hover with a fair amount of authority. The FPE spins a 22x6-10 Top Flite Powerpoint at an honest 6900 rpm, producing just about 25 lbs of thrust (measured, not calculated) installed and cowled. My plane gained several ounces after initial flights, and I don't have a clue as to why. Well... maybe it was the addition of a pilot, some cross-bracing in the fuselage, 50 or 60 feet of gold pinstriping tape, etc.???

The FPE weighs 71 oz, including stock muffler, ignition system, and ignition battery. As with many gassers, no mount is required, so if you compare it to the Moki, don't forget the mount. You will also get away with a lot less fuel tank, unless you're going to attempt a Trans-Atlantic crossing... I use a 12 oz tank and regularly fly 12-13 minutes of aerobatics with gas left over. My average consumption (over 8 gallons flown) is 0.7 oz per minute of actual flying, and this includes pre- and post-flight engine runs, range checks, etc.

Gary