Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

First C/L plane

Old 01-06-2009, 08:58 AM
iflyg450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First C/L plane

I want to try C/L flying, and was wondering is the Top Flite Flite Streak ARF anygood? I normally build RC kits this time I want to try it before I build a kit. I have a OS .25FX and a 40LA which would be best?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Luna_Rendezvous

Default RE: First C/L plane

I just destroyed a TF Streak, the sub par aspects are the build quality of the fuselage, and landing gear, its way too flimsy. Would recommend you build a new fuse from scratch using solid balsa, maple mounts, and 1/8th 5 ply doublers, and a decent 2-1/4 wheel. Make sure the mounting holes for gear are going through maple as well, you can use the landing gear wire they supply but if you’re running 9" + props you may need to up-size this part too. As for power plants, I was running an Enya 30 and had too much power for the plane, would stick with the .25" Hope this helps, Regards, Mike.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Luna_Rendezvous

Oh and forget about setting the CG as the instruction suggest, there hopelessly wrong! I would say between 1-1/2 and 2 inches from the leading edge is best, start at an inch and work it back to suite you style. Remember nose heavy on a control line plane is much less touchy than tail heavy.

EDIT: One last thing, the fuel tank is a piece of poo too, mine was leaky and on the small side, if yours doesn't leak then give it a try.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might start here for a full description of this plane:
http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa1000.html

Says that a 25 to begin with and later a 40.

My best asvice before you go spending a lot of money on this that you use your TD 049 and try something like a simple sheet balsa plane for the TD. Simple to build and less outlay than the ARF. Check your PM.

Robert
Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 AM
build light

For some interesting reading check here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_line

and here: http://www.modelairplanekit.net/index.php

And for a cheap trainer kit you could try one of these:
http://www.blackhawkmodels.com/eztrainer.html
The Blackhawk models kits are tops in having all the hardware you need to get your plane in the air.
Seems like there is a seperate kit that Larry offers to change the mounting so that you can use a TD. Contact Larry at : http://www.blackhawkmodels.com/

I am excited you want to try CL!

Robert
Old 01-06-2009, 03:20 PM
stuntflyr

The Flite Streak ARF is a good way to start. The 25 with an 8x5 or so prop is the way to go with this model. There are guys flying in Beginner and Intermediate levels of competition aerobatics with this model, it's a very good flyer. Use 55 foot, .015 control lines, they can be cut down from 60 foot pre-made lines that you can buy.

The other Flite Streak comments are correct on CG and how the fuselage is lightly built. If you have building experience the repairs will go in a straightforward manner, if you need them. I have used every part except the screws (replace with 4/40 sockets) on all of the ARF's I've built for the kids. Use what is there unless it isn't working before looking to replace parts.

Try to find a club in your area so they can offer an instructor. If you are around Atlanta, there is a big club there.

1/2A's are finicky and small, but if you go that direction they can be fun, too. I prefer to build the beginners in C/L the larger trainers like the Flite Streak.

Have fun, it's a ball.

Chris...

Old 01-07-2009, 03:25 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have been given some good advice already.

Do try to find a CL club or at least some experienced flyers. Many clubs have trainers available and you outgrow trainers very quickly.

The original Flite Streak called for a baffle .19 to .35. Your OS .25 has more power than the old .35's. Forget anything larger. Some have flown the FS with an OS FP-.15. A .20-.25 seems to be the preferred size. The ARF Flite Streak would be good as a second plane...after a trainer.

Do pay attention to balancing it about 1" to 1.5" behind the leading edge of the wing. Several flyers have reported losing the plane because it was balanced too far aft.

You have obstacles to overcome such as getting dizzy when turning with the model, and getting used to the controls.

I am assuming that your .25 is throttled. You can just wire the throttle open. No need for a dedicated CL engine at this stage.

A .049 model is harder to fly but is much less likely to break when crashed (fly over grass...very important).

Do you have any 1/2A engines? A Sig Skyray and a Cox tank-mounted engine are hard to beat for a beginner. It explains easy changeable options for minimum control setup for beginning (stable as trainer) and later increasing control movement as you gain experience.

Whichever model, use a narrow control spacing on the handle. This will also provide minimal control at first, which you can easily change later on.

Welcome to CL flying. Keep us posted...and ask lots of questions.

George
Old 01-13-2009, 01:43 PM
sepierce

Check out the Hangar 9 PT-19 in another thread within RC-Universe. It's the adult/modern iteration of the smaller Cox PT-19 we all saw/flew as kids. It would use the .40 engine you already have (with the thottle locked open) and any 10X6 or 11X5 props you may already have laying around. It builds easily in one evening. It's as simple to assemble as any other H-9 RC sport ARF. Its street price is higher than the others at $120. But it contains everything the RC flyer would need to enter/re-enter the control line circle- and nothing the pilot does not need. It even has an excellent handle and 60 ft lines. Build it and set it up as you would any RC plane. Just tune the engine much richer at about 9,900 rpm on the ground. Stick with the small provided tank at first. Also, make sure the cg is not even 1mm more than the 2.5in from leading edge the instructions detail.

Another option could be the Super Clown from Brodak. www.brodak.com It is about the same size as a Flight Streak and would use the .25 engine. If you already purchased and handle and lines for a FS, you could use them with this plane as well. If not, then you will need to acquire the lines and handle and connectors. To keep things simple at first, you could leave the flaps off. Just, don't get side-tracked with this excellent site dedicated to c/l flight. Top Flight also has a model larger than their FS, the Tutor II ARF. This could also be considered for use with your .40 as a trainer. I thought it was out-of-production, but is still listed on their web site.

Just as you learned that, "There are no jerks in learning to fly RC", "There are no jerks in learning to fly control line". Movements should be smooth and small. Just as you avoided quick stick movements to full deflection while learning RC, don't jerk the lines to full up or down in c/l.

Good luck and enjoy entering the ring with the original park flyers. Also, there is no such thing as 2 or 3 mistakes high !
Old 01-13-2009, 02:53 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: iflyg450

I want to try C/L flying, and was wondering is the Top Flite Flite Streak ARF anygood? I normally build RC kits this time I want to try it before I build a kit. I have a OS .25FX and a 40LA which would be best?
I fly a TF flitestreak, and like some of these guys are telling you the .20/.25 FP or .25LA are the engines to use. I fly mine with a well worn .25FP and it is slightly overpowered. The engines you have are WAAay too much for this plane, don't use them, you will be sorry.

I fly my streak with a 10X4 on 5% fuel, on 60 foot lines and it is pretty fast.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81360.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	1110101  
Old 01-16-2009, 12:55 AM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

Same here,

Flite Streak ARF, ALL STOCK airframe, pin hinges on elevator (DO NOT use CA hinges), OS .25FP (C/L version) w/ tounge muffler, 10x4 prop, Brodak uniflow wedge tank (around 2.5 - 3oz. I think), Powermaster C/L fuel- 10%nitro 1/2cas-1/2syn oil, 60ft lines.

Running the motor in a very wet 2cycle and getting about 5.0sec laps.

Mike
Old 01-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Red B.

Because you have an OS .40LA I would suggest you buy a slightly bigger aircraft than the Flite Streak. The LA is a rather good engine for C/L flying straight out of the box. I would suggest an aircraft like this: [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN0100]Hangar PT-19[/link].

Edit: Posted the wrong link