Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Might be getting a crawler, how's this look?

Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Might be getting a crawler, how's this look?

Old 02-18-2009, 10:15 PM
forrest225

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Might be getting a crawler, how's this look?

lol, I didn't notice it was an 85. I saw someone else suggest a 55 so I assumed he had like a 20 or something listed my bad. sorry for any confusion that caused.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:32 PM
traxxaspede

Ok, glad that's all cleared up. Now the I got the electronics figured out, I think I'll move on. Hoe are the stock tires? I heard that they are pretty hard compound and that they are not so good. But I also heard that was just for the earlier ones and now they have a softer compound? Just wondering if tires are worth upgrading. Just general bashing/crawling. I read that M3 compound badlands are good, I think it was in an RC car magazine, they compared a bunch of tires and they performed the best overall.

And I was wondering how easy it would be to waterproof it. Would there be room to mount the Traxxas waterproof receiver box? I keep hearing that you can just put silicone grease over all the cracks and openings to waterproof. Where can I find this grease?
Old 02-19-2009, 04:16 PM
robbio4422

i think the 55t would be better for you... maybe after a bit you could even drop to a 35t. if you have batteries already, just stick with that... get the connectors needed so you can swap plugs in different esc/chargers the sevo you have choose is pefrect to start out with... after a bit of time you will learn what will be better for upgrades
Old 02-20-2009, 12:30 AM
james1985

can anyone use those coupons ? i am also buying a axial ax10 ?
Old 02-20-2009, 01:19 AM
traxxaspede

yeah they work for anyone. just copy it into the little bar in your shopping cart. If you not already, you should sign up to get email offers from them. sometimes you can get a $20 off $50 or more, which is great, but I don't know how they can give so many discounts.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:45 AM
james1985

I tried and this is what it says when i try to enter it (Ad number 016BX promotional offer can be redeemed only by those who received this offer from us. Please enter a valid Ad Number or leave blank.)
Old 02-20-2009, 10:10 AM
jamie
My Feedback: (2)

ok we had a friend buy one of those axil rtr and lets say dont do it it's not very good save up the money and buy a good rig off ebay you have to spend it in the end
Old 02-20-2009, 12:32 PM
traxxaspede

James, what discount was the coupon for? I thought they would work for anyone because I used the $60 off $300 and it worked fine but I didn't get that code through email. But you should really sign up for the email thing, it's really easy too, just enter you email.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:19 PM
james1985

i did that and i still tried after that it still says the same thing the code is 016BY for the $60 off but when i enter it is still says the same thing this coupon is for tower hobbies correct
Old 02-20-2009, 09:49 PM
traxxaspede

Jamie, are you saying that I should buy some no-name brand crawler off of ebay instead of buying an AX-10 because the AX-10 isn't good?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:14 AM
MORNINGSTAR

hes saying that an RTR outta the box needs work.

Dont buy the RTR expecting a 27t motor, stiff ass springs, shatty tires and an unlockd front diff. to preform like a REAl rock crawler.

look. Here is My AX10 RTR

thats not how it came out of the box lol.

right outta the gate, I spent $100 on top of the initial RTR's $250 on a 55t motor, bent links, and tires etc.

this is why many Buy the ARTR, and provide their OWN electronics.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:23 PM
traxxaspede

I still prefer the kit, even though the tires aren't as good and the ARTR has a better body for crawling. It's just too fun building the kit.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:04 PM
chapy6

if you havent bought your motor and esc yet you can get good combo deals on the rooster crawler

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/19313

thats just one of the places you can find it and as for tires if you go with the rtr definatly upgrade them i got the losi claws there great and grip almost too much

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...d_id=TMLA7682B
Old 02-27-2009, 10:36 AM
engineerjoe

go with a 55T or if you're a throttle junky like me, a 45T or 35T

Look into the Sidewinder (get the castle link too) they can be run in BL or brushed and I have two of them in my crawlers. You'll be better off in the long run (I run 4s lipos on mine)

Don't forget a BEC:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSWL3&P=ML

And a metal servo horn
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCRT5&P=M

645 servo will be fine for now but if you get into it you'll want something stronger. If you can, get a Hobbico CS170, it's what I have and it works awesome (333 oz-in for $90)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNRN6&P=ML (ahhh, sold out right now, go with the 645MG)

don't buy those weights, just swing by a local tire shop and ask (nicely) for some stick on weights. they will probably give you some.

go with this motor, saves money:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLYV3&P=7

And I would buy the ARTR because it has alot of upgrades already on it (the kit needs tires, body, and heavy duty lockers; ARTR comes with them).
it's worth it, trust me (tires = $30, lockers = $25, new body = $20.)

Break it up into 2 orders so you get more of a discount

Here you go, it's a little more expensive but it's a little better:

Old 02-27-2009, 11:16 AM
traxxaspede

looks get except ive already got castle link from my mamba max, so i dont think i wold need that, and i could just spend a little more and get a traxxas RX with bult in BEC. that wold save about 40 dollars there. and then i would rather get the rooster/55t motor combo. only 110 for esc/motor. and i would definately not be doing any competitive stuff so i dont think i would need a new body, probly dont need heavy duty lockers for a while, and ill get tires as my LHS later, they have rock claws and a couple other crawler tires.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:02 PM
engineerjoe

ORIGINAL: traxxaspede

looks get except ive already got castle link from my mamba max, so i dont think i wold need that, and i could just spend a little more and get a traxxas RX with bult in BEC. that wold save about 40 dollars there. and then i would rather get the rooster/55t motor combo. only 110 for esc/motor. and i would definately not be doing any competitive stuff so i dont think i would need a new body, probly dont need heavy duty lockers for a while, and ill get tires as my LHS later, they have rock claws and a couple other crawler tires.
If you already have a castle link there's no reason to NOT get the BEC and sidewinder. I haven't used novak stuff but I cannot reccomend Castle products higher. Smooth and easy to configure. Why not save money and use your mamba max?? alot of guys use them in crawlers.
i currently swap my sidewinder AND Rx from my comp rig to scaler to slash to boat to save money

You WILL need a BEC eventually and it'll save you money in the long run (easier to burn out servos at 4.8V than 6.0V). Not sure about the traxxas rx with built in BEC but 90% of crawlers out there use the CC BEC.

Tires are the #1 upgrade to the kit. the stock tires are straight up crap, I haven't even mounted them yet.

I'm just trying to help you get a setup that you're not going to outgrow in 2 months.

If you get the setup I suggested the only thing you'd need to upgrade IF/WHEN you start comps is the battery and mod for better CG.

Check RCCrawler.com for reviews on the rooster and Novak electronics in general, they get mixed reviews