Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

baja 5b ss or savage xl

Old 10-13-2008, 03:12 PM
huck ur rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default baja 5b ss or savage xl

i everyone i am looking at buying either a baja 5b or a savage xl. i am just going to rip it aroung my gravle pit at my cabin and hit some jumps but nothing too big. can you tell me which one would be better. also dose any one know the top speed of the baja. thx
Old 10-13-2008, 09:01 PM
jikkuria

Default RE: baja 5b ss or savage xl

well, i love the baja, but i believe you should go with the savage. besides the fact that the savage is a little over half the price of the baja, it is probabaly better suited to your needs. the baja is awesome, but would probabaly just spin in gravel and is easily overpowered. the savage on the other hand is 4wd and has a similar top speed. but in reality the baja goes 35-40 mph regularly, but miamizfinest has gotten his to 64 with a little work.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:29 PM
huck ur rc

thanks
Old 10-14-2008, 06:30 PM
huck ur rc

thanks that was helpful. what if i put padle tires on would it still spin
Old 10-16-2008, 07:57 AM
LS460

I like savage XL
Old 10-16-2008, 05:48 PM
jikkuria

alot of this is opinion, so dont take any of this as fact. but i believe that the baja is just overkill for your needs. i like the baja and fully believe that you would have a blast with it, but when i think of a cabin i imagine tree's and the savage is a little more nimble than it's 1/5 scale friend. the baja is less finicky to tune, but there is less in the way of upgrades. with the savage it's pretty much endlessly upgradeable, if you can imagine it, you gan get it. the baja has basic upgrades like aluminum stuff and carbon fiber, but the engine choice is a little less optional. i guess what im trying to say is that both are great, and you will definately have a great time with both, but can your location hand a car like the baja, because it isn't a close quarters car. i don't know your location though so i cant really say. but if your terrain will support the baja, i fully support it, because it may be my favorite car ever.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:21 AM
kaomangai

I am not a believer in RTR and I just bought the HPI Baja 5B SS. It is a great kit and I am enjoying the process of building it. The HPI Baja 5 (RTR or SS) is a great car and I can see that HPI have put in a lot of design and thought process in building it. I have built a lot of models both static and RC and I can tell you that this one is the near ultimate.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:19 PM
SAVAGEBANE

go savage. cuz of where you will be running it. i can imagine you would need a big open space to open up a baja...whereas a savage will be good for torquey close quarters fun and you could also open it up on a open space.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:36 PM
paharleyman2001
My Feedback: (1)

Dude save up for a few more weeks and get the Baja 5t it is cheaper to run that Nitro. Nitro costs 25 to 35 a gallon and gas costs 1.80 a gallon plus with nitro you got to constantly tune the motors you don't have to with a baja plus I destroyed a savage xl lastnight when it went to play chicken with me. oh and one other thing you get about 12 to 15 minutes run time with nitro 45 to 50 minutes with a baja 5t 5b or 5b ss trust man you will not regret it. I will never go back to nitro.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:44 PM
paharleyman2001

Jikkuria,

You have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to upgrades for a baja there are so many companies outthere that sell upgrades for these things it is rediculious, Did you have any idea that there were bajas out there that have over 15 grand in them. you can anything from hydrolic brake kits to reed cased engines for these.
I am sorry for comming off so strong but please don't make a comment on something that you have no idea what you are talking about. and one other thing I have over 2.500 dollars in mine alone in upgrades and it can go alot more places than a Savage can. If you have a Savage I have the Baja 5t lets go find out where we can can't go with them.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:16 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: huck ur rc

i everyone i am looking at buying either a baja 5b or a savage xl. i am just going to rip it aroung my gravle pit at my cabin and hit some jumps but nothing too big. can you tell me which one would be better. also dose any one know the top speed of the baja. thx
If you can pony up about $900 USD, you can get a 5B SS kit. All you need to add is servos, RX, and radio.

All you need to do is know how to fire up a chain saw and starting a 5B is no different.

Someone alreadr said the 5T, that is a very nice tryck, but you need to be able to drop about $1200 USD.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:15 AM
paharleyman2001

Savagejim you are right in dropping 900 bucks for a baja but one thing once you buy everything yo need for a savage fuel radio battery for the jump starter temp guage glo starter glo plugs you just about spend that much anyway and it is going to last much longer and cheaper to run Get the baja dude all bajas' from the 5b, 5b ss, 5t are great.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:17 AM
paharleyman2001

Savagebane,
I use to live in Cali a few years ago there is tracks and places to bash all over the place Hpi isn't to far from downtown L.A give them a call they can tell you where to go.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:01 AM
islandstylin
My Feedback: (5)

True that about the cost of nitro for the SavageXL. Compared spending for regular petro for the Baja. Then again there is the new FLUX that came out. Look into that too. PEACE
Old 02-28-2009, 01:56 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Flux looks greay, crazy torque at the instant you pull the trigger. But as any new item put out, it is too expensive. I say wait for maybe this summer and the Flux will go doen in price.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 PM
huck ur rc

Ya I got a brand new savage xl off eBay for 550 with shipping and it's great