Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

DX3S RPM Sensor not working?

Old 12-08-2008, 10:29 PM
bzinfinity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX3S RPM Sensor not working?

I'm not sure if anyone else even uses the radio here, but I just got it up and running and I can't get the RPM sensor to work properly.

I got all my trucks hooked up to the new radio, it's sick, but the telemetry receiver is on my MGT and it's not working properly I don't think.

Does anyone know what the resting idle should be on a MGT 8.0? Or even a ballpark range?

I put the little black sticker on the flywheel, but if I move the flywheel past the sensor by hand, the radio shows 240 RPM or even 700 sometimes - after moving the sticker past the sensor one time by hand slowly.

Also - if anyone knows, the manual says to put the nitro thermometer sensor right where the head meets the body of the motor. I thought engine temps were supposed to be measured at the glow plug. Will this make a significant difference?

Also, what temperature should I set for my upper limit warning? How does 265 sound?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:46 AM
HJJFFFAA

Default RE: DX3S RPM Sensor not working?

Hmmm, I'm not sure about that RPM thing, maybe the computer is figuring out the equation wrong. Maybe you have to set the computer to figure it out for your flywheel size. As for the temperature I think 265 is fine and the glow plug and the joint between the cooling head and block is basically the same place.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:58 PM
dxm2

I run the separate nitro telemetry kit from Spektrum and my temp warning is at 275. My engine runs just about perferctly int he 255 - 265 range. I've only got the RPM sensor to work on one of my buggies, but it stopped as soon as I ran on a dusty track. I know 46U was able to get it working consistently a while back. Try searching his posts.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Yakflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Looks like there are plenty of us that are having trouble with the RPM sensor on the DX3S. Mine does not even read at all.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:27 PM
billgall327

did you dp the roll out calculation correctly?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Yakflyer

Roll out? How can I when it does not read at all?
Old 04-14-2009, 04:57 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

I'm having issues with the RPM sensor as well, first one seemed to read great, but then stopped alltogether, so I replaced it, the new on reads once in awhile when the transmitter is near the vehicle, but it cuts in and out alot.

As far as the temp sensor works great up to about 200 ft, I have it mounted just below the first and second cooling fins from the bottom of the heatsink, and get the most accurate temp reported from there... have checked it against my IR temp sensor several times and in several places just to be sure. In the manual they leave you with the impression that it needs to go around the bottom of the heatsink, which generally shows a slightly higher temp than the glow plug as you have the comustion chamber and exhaust ports right there.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:51 PM
hondapride59

this is why you dont buy a radio for untested and untrue gimmicks! the dx3s isnt a bad radio but quality and performance of telemetry which is a selling point make it fall short of other 2.4 radios