Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Retract and door sequencing?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Retract and door sequencing?

Old 01-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Eaglepilot2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Retract and door sequencing?

KC,

I'm still not exactly clear on how the valve opens the doors. If its set to close the doors upon the strut striking the trigger I don't understand how the down air will actuate the doors when the strut still has the valve closed. Wouldn't the down action of the strut have to open the valve before the air would open the doors?? Maybe its explained clearly in the instructions of the valve, but I don't have one yet as I haven't decided what to use. I have an RCBEE 200 sequencer that as of yet I haven't been able to figure out!! Seem's as though I may not need anything more that this trigger valve for my F-16. I sure would like an illustration if anyone has one.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

KC needs to post a diagram, I've already tried all combinations that come to mind and can't make it work as he describes, your concern is the same as mine, you just are locating the valve on the "down" side of the system, it needs to be located on the "up" side, you also need a restrictor on the "up" side of the valve "trigger" strut retract cylinder in order to force that wheel to come up last...
Old 01-05-2012, 02:48 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i drew it out for FenderBean, and he converted it to a nice MSPaint image, it's posted in his FEJ F-16 build thread.

the doors don't need a restrictor, when air is applied, the door rams are smaller and have less force, they are the path of least resistance so they will open before the gear even unlocks, the trigger valve keeps them open till the gear hits it.

this isn't any new idea, it's been around for as long as i've been flying jets (1992), it doesn't get used as often as it could because most wants the fancy bells and whistles electronic gadgets and this is an as simple as it gets no frills, but it works.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Ruizmilton

KC, the restrictor is not for the doors, it's for the actuating retract leg, if you are only talking about a nose gear door, no restrictor is needed, but if it's for all three gear, you need to force the trigger leg to come up last.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:53 PM
KC36330

i've never used a restrictor and it's always worked great for me, YMMV.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Ruizmilton

you are lucky if the actuating leg never got up first, otherwise you had a lot of problems...
Old 01-05-2012, 03:02 PM
KC36330

just use a little common sense on the installation, it's most popular on F-16, main gear retracts into the air stream, this slows the mains from the nose, install trigger valve on the main gear leg and not the nose, it's not luck.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Eaglepilot2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea what page that diagram is on in fenderbeans thread? I looked through most of it and didn't see it. I know this is how its done on Tams F-16 also, just couldn't figure out the way it worked. I can see how the smaller cylinders would open more quickly.