Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The G forces we put our planes & jets through

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The G forces we put our planes & jets through

Old 05-28-2012, 10:07 AM
rctech2k7
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The G forces we put our planes & jets through

Very informative guys, it reminds me of a frictionless banking turn... The normal (perpendicular) force (N) acted on the surface bottom of an aircraft has 2-components (vertical and horizontal). Vertical component is the cosine of banking angle while horizontal is sine of that angle. It leaves the vertical equation as follows:

Weight = N * cos (angle)

Therefore:

N = (1/ cosine angle) * W
Old 05-28-2012, 10:57 AM
karl hibbs
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.bvmjets.com/images/Enclosure1.pdf
Old 05-28-2012, 11:37 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

During a flight with normal 60° banks and turns at 120+/- mph I got ''G'' force readings of 6 to 8, s
A most interesting post but I wonder just how accurate the accelerometer was ? I ask this because the ''G'' in a 60 degree banked turn is always 2 (speed is irrelevant). Of course transient Gs ''spikes'' are always possible in turbulent air but 6-8 G with 60 degs of bank seems very excessive. That said, 4 Gs in a loop seems about right, its a good pull rate in a real jet when starting a loop.

Beware JetCat Gs. The G is derived from GPS positions and the refresh rate (certainly on the older JC GPS) was not high enough to produce accurate results. In extensive testing, I got some really excessive readings even when flying smoothly and gently in totally calm air.
Regards,

David Gladwin.
From my understanding, speed and rate of turn are always relevent. Making a turn at 50 mph will produce less G forces than making the same turn at 90 or 120 mph. G forces are proportional to speed and rate of turn (or rate of ascent or decent). I know there is a formula for this, I just can't remember or find it now. Military jet pilots are taught the formula during their flight training. Also, aerobatic pilots know the formula.

Secondly, I can only estimate that I was making a 60° banked turn at the time because it seemed that way to me. The turn could have been slightly steeper or shallower; and I can only estimate that the jet was doing 120+/- at the time. But the turns during that flight were consistent, as far as I could determine, and I got the 6 to 8 G readings on three different flights where turns were the only thing I did.
With respect, you are incorrect sir. Mr Gladwin has it spot on with regard to a LEVEL turn of x degree bank always equals y G's. That is one thing every aviator is taught in his first ground school and there are literally thousands of references available in this regard.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:08 PM
alasdair

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

David Gladwin is correct about the Physics of turning, IF the turns are dead level and correctly banked and properly balanced, as when flying full size aeroplanes with precision, as he was trained to do.
A hooligan flying a model jet is not so constrained, and so may pull almost any 'g' he likes when he changes flight direction abruptly.

I have fitted a few of my jets with instrumentation, including Eagle Tree's pressure based system linked to a G meter that records constantly, and also a GPS position recorder that will also output speed (as a differential of position).
|I found that the GPS based readouts were unreliable in manoeuvres, but were OK in long straight sections of flight if bank angle was kept reasonable (but a roll messed up the GPS completely).
One problem with Eagle Tree equipment was in finding a reliable static pressure source to drive the altimeter and airspeed indicator.   Total pressure from a pitot is easy enough but neither the cabin pressure nor the pitot head supplied were accurate enough.
For example, in a high speed full throttle pass my EagleTree airspeed was about 100 mph and height was -80 feet.  That height was patently not  true, as by eye the model was 10 feet ABOVE the runway, and GPS readings suggest that the actual airspeed was nearer 120 mph (averaging upwind and downwind GPS speed).
I am still looking for a reliable static source, as I believe that the units are very accurate, if fed reliable pressure information.

My CARF Lightning powered by a Booster 160 had a Weatronic RX fitted  (on 35 MHz) which included a built in GPS. Its twin aerial system had a far more reliable GPS lock-in that seldom lost signal, and its speed readout on a fast pass was 170 mph (averaged up and down wind). A big loop reached 1500 feet (in military airspace with ATC permission). No G meter was fitted but I am glad the wing tube resembles a scaffolding pole!
Old 05-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

Flying the Chinese stuff I guess you'd call it. An Evader, an F-16, a StrykerQ, a Projeti, and some others. With most of them, split esses are the norm. Using the low reading Eagle Tree I get between 4-7 Gs on all three axis. I've broken 1,000 feet with the Stryker (with the permission of the Tower). They fly really well. There really is no need to spend thousands of dollars any more for me. Trust me, the same rush is available for a couple of hundred bucks. And because they are small, the challenge is greater.

So, do tell, the 3D helis must be pulling 50gs........
Old 05-28-2012, 02:53 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

This just proves my "theory" that these planes can handle more "G's" and stress than most people think. Its really amazing when you put this information in perspective thanks!
Old 05-28-2012, 03:26 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Airplanes is missing the point of a turn being a COORDINATED turn.

He's going by the old 'Bank-n-Yank' way of turning an airplane.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks blhollo,
That's the basic point I was trying to show ... That our R/C planes and jets go through more G forces than we realize, and the readings I got from the meters demonstrate it. None of us can say for sure if our planes are in a 50°, 60°, or 70° angle of bank from our perspective, so that would only be a guess on anyone's part, or if in fact, the plane stayed at the same altitude during the turn. In all liklihood, they never do.

Regardless of all this, the end result is that our planes sustain more stress than we realize, and the meters prove it.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:46 PM
chuckk2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not surprised at the higher than expected "G" readings encountered in R/C aircraft.
Compared to full scale aircraft, the typical R/C model has larger control surfaces, more deflection available, and a higher power to weight ratio.

Neglecting compressibility, a 1/8 scale R/C model at 100mph might be compared to a full scale A/C at 800mph.

An example of a high performance full scale aircraft might be an F-15A fighter in the late 70's. Pilots were routinely going over the desired "G" forces, resulting in such things as engine flame-outs,
antennas on the vertical stabilizers breaking or falling off, and even entire vertical stabilizers cracking at the base and falling off. To this day, even on the later F-15 versions, major structural repair
is often needed during overhaul. Repeated high G forces are believed to be the major cause.
The "G" sensors mounted in the "belly" of F-15As were often "tripped" when a plane returned, and the trip level was about 8G.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:23 PM
cfircav8r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The F-16 has the "Falcon up" program that tracks G loads and configuration to maintain a proactive approach to stress. You will see many added structural "patches" depending on the age and stresses encountered. Fourth generation fighters are for the most part limited by the airframe, but fifth generation fighters are mostly limited by the pilot, depending on configuration.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:34 PM
rctech2k7

I forgot the horizontal component of N on banking curve which is expressed in N * sine (angle) equal to centripetal force (Fc).

Fc = m *v^2 / radius of turn

This centripetal force is directly proportional to the square of velocity and inversely proportional to the radius of turn.

Fc = N * sine (angle)

Therefore;

N = m *v^2 / (radius of turn * sine (angle))

On the first equation: N = W/cos(angle), as angle of bank approaches to 90-deg, N load is becoming critical as it increases rapidly.

The third equation which derived from equating 1 and 2:

v^2 = r * g * tan (angle)
where: g = gravitational constant

It implies that, when velocity (v) increases, radius of turn must increases otherwise angle of bank must increase and therefore result in increase of load factor at constant radius of turn. This is what I believe explaining by Airplanes400

And this is what I believe trying to implied by David Gladwin, the ratio of N and the weight of an aircraft is higher at higher angle of bank and 1 at zero angle. This is proved by equation of a right triangle with hypotenuse N and constant adjacent leg of Weight (W). As the angle of bank increases N is also increases as opposite leg increases and W is constant. Using right triangle formula, cosine (angle) = W/N.
Reciprocating the formula,

N/W = 1/cosine of angle

Is a load factor or the ratio of lift acceleration to gravitational constant (g), where N = total lift generated by an aircraft at angle of bank and W = weight
Old 05-28-2012, 10:29 PM
icepilot

The G meters don't cost much. Just for fun, install one in your jet and see what readings you get. Even during normal flight, I was surprised at the readings I got. It isn't hard to get 8 or 9 G's just doing steep banked turns and maintaining level flight when the jet is doing about 150 mph.
I have used some Eagle Tree products, they are inexpensive and work well, I might try one of their G-meters just out of curiosity!
Old 05-29-2012, 05:21 AM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

thanks for posting.