Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

What engine for my new CA Yak 3.3??

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

What engine for my new CA Yak 3.3??

Old 04-25-2005, 04:04 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What engine for my new CA Yak 3.3??

Ahhh.. that explains the 2nd big hole in the fuse that I saw when he was putting it together! Comp-Arf really has their game together.

I am fighting with myself trying to talk myself out of buying the Red Bull scheme 2.6 Yak.. I need another plane like I need the stomach flu - but I like the scheme so much I might just have to buy it before it runs out and put it on the shelf next to my DA-100 until I am ready....

man... tough decision.
DP
Old 04-25-2005, 04:17 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello John

For pattern work, the wings in aft position are perfect, however the wings in the forward position turn the 3.3 into a 3D monster.

Bob
Old 04-25-2005, 05:25 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah Bob, I hear ya, Im just too happy with it in the aft position to move them
Old 04-26-2005, 04:57 AM
TJPro35

Looks like I will be going with the ZDZ 210 with JMB cans.
Thanks to everybody for their inputs!!!
Old 04-26-2005, 01:35 PM
gi8u2racing
My Feedback: (11)

The JMB cans will not fit in the yak, they hit the landing gear tubes, that is unless they have come out with a new size.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:18 PM
TJPro35

After all that agony on what engine, NOW I got to worry about cans?? Am I forced to go with the pipes??.....[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

On JohnVH website (composite-arf-world.com) It looks like one of those Yaks in John's picture gallery has the JMB cans installed with the 210??

Any thoughts JohnVH and others?
Old 04-26-2005, 04:53 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

TJ, I put the DA150 in mine, simple install, went fast, needed nothing too fancy, lots of power. Cant help you on the zdz, sorry. But I know there are some here that can.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:16 PM
TJPro35

Understand John, was just looking for you to agree with the picture on your website.
Thanks for your help!

BTW, how is your Yak doing? Any plans to update your site?

TJ
Old 04-26-2005, 05:27 PM
rcavi8ter
My Feedback: (19)

TJ get in contact with Andy Kane he is a Comp Arf Dealer and a RCS pilot. He has had a couple of the 3.3 Yaks with 210's. He will be able to get you taken care of.

Old 04-26-2005, 05:56 PM
xtreem3d
My Feedback: (1)

tj,
if i understand your ? you don't need pipes w/ the 210. both my 3.3 yaks run standard mufflers
Old 04-26-2005, 06:17 PM
TJPro35

I was trying to reduce noise with the cans. Yes, if I didn't care about noise, the standard mufflers would do.

Rcav....already sent Andy an email looking for install pictures. I know he runs with pipes. I am trying to clarify if the JMB cans with the ZDZ 210 will fit in the Yak.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:24 PM
epc
My Feedback: (33)

TJ,

Good decision going with a bigger engine , I've seen Andy Kane flying his with a 210 and it's perfect , I don't imagine that plane with a smaller engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72800.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	263625  
Old 04-26-2005, 11:16 PM
trentmark
My Feedback: (15)

If you don't think the Da-150 flies that plane well go to my website and ck out the videos. I'm on my second Yak and I just went to a 30x10 mej prop. It will easily pull 2 verticle upline snaps.

Mark Trent
http://www.marktrent3D.com

Old 04-29-2005, 10:29 AM
martin18152

I installed the 210 in my 3.3. I’m not an expert flyer, or even a really good flyer, so I can’t give a lot of performance input; however, the 210 is a little more involved during installation. The first problem is it’s carb through the firewall; you have to cut a hole. On my engine Mike at RCS forgot to flip the carb, which allows the choke and throttle to be open on the bottom for easy throttle and choke installation, he offered to take it back and do it for free, he seems to be a pretty good guy, but I couldn’t wait, and went the hard way on choke and throttle installation. You can check out my web page link for specifics. I also have the 3 blade prop and KS1090s, I installed the pipes in equal lengths as far back as the tunnel will allow. My peak power and vertical clime rate are awesome; however, the engine is a little peaky at around the mid throttle position, its nothing a good throttle curve can solve. Everyone comments on how quiet the plane is, this might be a consideration for certain fields with disgruntle neighbors about sound. The ZDZ runs a little warm; I have been told that the canister type mufflers make it run a little hotter than the long pipes, something about flow restriction in the cowl. On my plane, the 210 kept pushing the KS1090 pipes back out of the headers, you can tighten normal hose clamps as tight as you want, you will collapse the pipes before they will stop moving. I have a good solution for this if you want to discuss it in detail. Another problem is the firewall fitting for the 210, the manual instructs you to put the engine dead center to the cowl opening, you can’t quite do that because the bolts will be too close edge of the firewall or off it, just get as close as you can to center, and still keep the bolts off the edge. I don’t see a problem with fuel on the firewall, first the fire wall is composite, plywood sandwiched on composite material, if you mount the engine as close to the cowling as safely possible, the carb will be far enough through the firewall, so that no significant amount of fuel will affect the wood. The fuel would have to wick up hill to get to the firewall, unless you have a leak around the carb seal. I like the engine, can’t compare it to the DA150, but most people like which ever one they are using. It seems like the DA150 or the ZDZ 210 is the prevalent choice.

http://webpages.charter.net/martin18152/