Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Same battery to Ignition and RX

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Same battery to Ignition and RX

Old 03-23-2008, 04:31 PM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Same battery to Ignition and RX

ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons
I have seen way too many people flying the crap out of their Li-Ion planes to believe the hype that the higher output of the 123s is required. Plus you can't accurately load check them. 5.5 ounces for a 2400 pack, it's okay but not the second coming of Christ.

I'm with you ryan. I like lith-ions, it's nice to go to a contest and fly friday, saturday and sunday and not have to charge all weekend. IF a123 were available in larger capacity packs and were as light as lithiums I might be interested then.

Albert
Old 03-23-2008, 04:36 PM
niteman

Sooo if I understand you right you are definitely running at least one "shared" 2s 2300 pack for both the RX and DA Ignition ??

Sorry to be redundant, just want to make sure I'm clear on this as this would really be great.

Also, may I ask how long you have been doing this ???

Thanks
Old 03-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Guys just imagine if Rumplestilskin just woke up and saw you 3DÃ*ng your planes. He would say it it wrong and should be banned. Of course some would say.... "But it Works." His traditional thinking would not allow you to even try.

I run one 2300 two cell A123 on my 35% plane...no regulator. I wanna see one of you guys stick your 2400 liion on your 35% plane and go fly... Why do I do it. Because I can.[>:] Because I have multiple giant scale planes and I want to KISS.

The fact of the matter is there is lots of availability of non computer radios (how many of you guys po-poÃ*ng the A123's have a computer radio and even have the gall to use mixing), FM radios, and Nicads for all of you wishing to use them.

Use what works for you. Use what makes you happy. Don't down people who are using someting else just cause you don't like the idea. Truly if there is a problem, it will surface and we will all have to change and or eat crow.

I flew my A123 powered 74 inch yak on Futaba Faast today that runs ignition and receiver together. This is about 5 flight hours (30 flights) and there is no need for me to buy another battery just to have something else to play with and worry about. I have also made up my mind that you will never see a lipo in one of my gassers. Out of all of the stuff in RC aviaition that I have personally see fail they have the higest probibility.

Just my .10 and you can keep the change.[8D]

PS RC Tom keep doing what you are doing. This industry needs trail-blazers. If it were not for trail-blazers we would all still be flying Astro Hogs.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons

I don't fly circles Jake, I fly IMAC and 3D. Unlimited this year. In my years flying IMAC and 3D I have yet to see someone say "well gee, if only my battery system was capable of 350 amp discharge I'd fly so much better!" Look I'm all for technology but I think you'll find most people who have been doing this for a while saying yeah these are nice but the hype over them is not really justified.

The circle comment was a side comment meant in general.. not aimed at you directly.

However debating about A123s vs ? really has nothing to do with the topic at hand and personally wasn't trying to have a big debate about it. As far as the topic is concerned I don't agree with it or see the point.. said this many times. However bringing up NiCads and A123s in the same post doesn't remotely make sense.

I ran NiMh packs last year simply because I couldn't really see a huge weight savings by the time you spent all that money on regs and whatnot.. all I saw was more failure points and only gaining more time between charges... did make sense to me.

I switched to A123s at the same time I went 2.4. I don't want to worry about reboots... I feel A123s takes this worry off my mind plain and simple.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys just imagine if Rumplestilskin just woke up and saw you 3DÃ*ng your planes. He would say it it wrong and should be banned.
Are you sure you don't mean Rip Van Winkle?