Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Failed DL-50 bearings

Old 12-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Failed DL-50 bearings

That's a pretty common misconception with engine running. They get a bit cantakerous to start because they are cold and fuel doesn't atomize as well as when warm. So you crank of them a bit longer trying to get it started. Then, figuering it's so cold, you run the engine for longer periods of high rpm levels without a cylinder thermocouple for a direct temp reading. After the engine hits about 90c the temps rapidly rise to max levels and you're not aware of it. The longer it runs, the hotter it gets, and your fingers are more sensitive to heat that they were awhile ago. So you tend to ignore the obvious.

It happens to everyone sooner or later if you play in cold climates.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:29 AM
houdinimkii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Failed DL-50 bearings

As I did before I apologize for mispeaking about bearing fit clearance. I had a long night prior to that post and made a "rookie" oversight, not to mention I'm not very fond of typing and it is frustrating getting thoughts in my noggen into text.
Anyway what I kinda was tring to do was get some input about these failures in a way that would not insult anyone. My honest opinion so far is these failures are most likley "operator error" I know having said that is going to send some people into furious rage. This is not my point or purpose of this thread. The DL seems to be a good quality engine based on the feed back of this forum and is most likley the engine I will purchase.

I suppose I am wasting everyones time here worring about a $400 engine. I should just shut up and buy one.

My point of this thread was The bearing will show you what happened, color, markings, wearpattern condition of lube left on the bearing. I work with people in setting up pumps and rotating equipment where as failure is not an option and will cause millions to be lost. I've seen bearings spin at high loads 24hrs a day for years straight without a problem. When a problem does occur the bearing must be analyzed and a root cause of failure PROVEN before returning to service.