Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Is this thing released yet?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Is this thing released yet?

Old 10-11-2005, 07:00 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is this thing released yet?

I have been talking to Greg Hahn, Mr. Fuji Engines at Great Planes, and they have a P-6E Hawk with a 25cc Fuji 4 cycle in it. Nothing sticks out and it seems to be enough power.

Far from overpowered, but it should sound great.

I just happen to have one of those engines too.

No, they don't give us engines. They don't give us planes either.

We have to work for both of them, but let's not open that mess again
Old 10-11-2005, 10:59 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to see that four stroke gasser used in your review with lots of photos of the installation! It will definately sound great, and if the the performance is decent and still looks good it just may be the choice!!!
Old 10-22-2005, 08:40 AM
sseward
My Feedback: (1)

The P-6E is my Favorite aircraft of all time! I've always had an affection for Bipes, and I have at least 5 different plastic models of the P-6 and a wooden display version on my desk. I started building and modifying a Goldberg P-6e, have a Maratuka in the box ready to go and have a set of Baron Plans. When I saw this I about fell over!

Yea, it's expensive, but for this I'll pay a little extra. I've looked over the video and the manual and it looks like a very nice ARF. In the form of nitpicking, looks like in some of the pictures that the Olive comes out onto the top surfaces of the lower wings which I've never seen before. To the best of my knowledge the wings are all yellow all the way to the fuselage. If it makes it to production like this I'll just recover that section.

For power I was thinking of and OS fs-120 with Pump I have, with a Slimline inverted Pitts to keep the cowl cutting to a minimum. Looks like this may be a good candidate to try and RCV 120. I've always wanted to try one of those and they can swing a big 3-blade prop. I have access to a RCV that I can try and see how it works before I commit.

I've built 4 GP arfs and had no major complaints. I'm still gonna build my Maratuka, and try and make the Golberg a little more flyable, but this will get me in the air quickly!

Steve
Old 10-22-2005, 09:44 AM
jeffEE

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have never seen so many people CRYING about the price of a plane that is not even out yet. How can you complain about something that you are guessing about? Two wings, and I don't have to build them both? sounds great to me.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:50 AM
sseward

Any thoughts about how much engine to use? I normally like to wait and let others go first and then benefit from their input here, but since I've already put this on order I'm contemplating which engine to use. I have two OS four-strokes, FS-91II, and an FS-120III (Pump) that I can try. Was also contemplating an RCV-120 for the first time just so I could swing the bigger 3-blade prop.

Slimline makes a nice inverted pitts for both the OS engines that should keep the cowl cutting to a minimum. My current plan is to try each on for a fit (My Local HS will Loan me the RCV) and go from there. I'm no aerobatics wiz, I just enjoy leasurely flying, but I generally go with the upper end of the recommended engine range. I noted at the end of the manual on the P-6 that they said that all of their prototypes used OS FS-120's, though on the video and other docs they refer to the FS-91II.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see!

Steve
Old 10-24-2005, 01:38 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: jeffEE

I have never seen so many people CRYING about the price of a plane that is not even out yet. How can you complain about something that you are guessing about? Two wings, and I don't have to build them both? sounds great to me.
The price is published on the Tower website, where it can also be ordered.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLDU9&P=ML

So much for guessing .
Old 10-24-2005, 03:12 PM
chasrb

Cool plane! You gonna get one and keep it in the box?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:10 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: chasrb

Cool plane! You gonna get one and keep it in the box?

Oh....your soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo funny Chas! [:-][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

I keep trying to order the engine for the stearman, and they keep not answering the phone! I will try again in a few days, and if that doesn't work I forget about the Roto 25.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:36 PM
chasrb

DC go for the Laser engine instead. Go for the glow!! Speaking of glow...I talked with Riches' Brew out of Houston, Texas today, they can blend my Seidel fuel for me. Total cost for one carton (4 gal) 80 USD 40 for the fuel and 40 foe the shipping and hazmat....grrrrrrrr still probably easier and more accurate for them to blend it than me.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Been looking for this thread and couldn't find it. Now I have.

This is a pretty cool looking plane. I'm fairly new to RC and have spent most of my time in 3D. This plane however, has caught my eye. I thing I'm going to get one. They look to be out in December.

This will be my first biplane. My first truly scale plane (If you don't count my Yak).

I'm amazed at the weight as advertised is 14lbs and they only call for a 120 size engine. Is that correct? Also what servos would you use? I know the surfaces aren't 3D but it would still require large servos, right?

I'm looking forward to building this over the winter. I'm wondering how aerobatic it will be. Would the upper wing break off in high thrust maneuvers? Looks kinda weak just sitting there.

Anyways, I'm going to join you guys if it's ok.

Thanks
Barry
Old 10-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Barry Cazier

Just read all the thread. Mostly I see people complaining about the price. I personally think the price is fine. On Tower is for sale for $450. With discounts that can probably be $410 shipped to your door. This is a big airplane. I don't think it would be possible to build the thing for that. And in my limited time I've seen the quality of the ARFs getting better and better. I'm excited. And I personally think it's underpriced. I'm going to email them and see if they'll raise the price $20. The good news is the first posts reflect a $600 dollar price tag. Now it's $450. Maybe by December it'll be $400. This is a lot of airplane for the money. I can't complain one bit. Not one bit about the price.

I'm interested about the seemingly small recommended engine size for such a heavy plane. Is this normal for the scale models?

What about aerobatics? Will these planes do nice aerobatics or are they just fly in circle types?

I just love the looks and the history of this airplane. I'm gonna get one regardless of the aerobatics but I'm curious so I can select the proper engine. I'm at 4800' above sea level so I have to overpower a bit. I've been thinking about a YS 140 or Saito 180 but even they don't seem like enough to me for the weight.

The other issue is servos. I usually use HiTec 5625, 5645 and 645. I'm think the 5645 on rudder and elevator. Maybe the 645 on the ailerons. Would that be enough?

Also, the upper wing scares me as to it might come off in high thrust maneuvers. Am I worrying needlessly? Do I need to fly this thing slow?

Nobody at our club has anything like this plane. I can't wait to show up with it.

Thanks
Barry
Old 10-29-2005, 11:23 AM
sseward

Barry,
I have mine on order already. They recommend 54oz/in minimum for all the servos other than the throttle, so I'm goint with Futaba 3010's. I'm curious about the motor also. I have both an OS FS-91 and an fs-120/pump that I was contemplating, but I hate the way the muffler sticks out in the photos. If I use one of these I'll probably try the Slimline inverted 4 stroke muffler. I also thought this might be a good plane to try and RCV 120-sp in. Looks like you could keep most of it in the cowl.

I just hope they arrive in time for Christmas!

Steve
Old 10-29-2005, 12:06 PM
ElectRick
My Feedback: (2)

Since the Hawk is the same general size and layout as the GP Stearman, the same recommendations for powerplant and servos would make sense. As long as it's not being flown at unrealistic speeds or jerked around in a lomcevak, the 60-ish in. oz. torque servos should work fine.

As for aerobatics, this kind of comment always strikes me as kind of funny. These planes--the GP PT-17 and P6E--are scale (more or less) models of aircraft from the 1920's and 1930's. They weren't powered (at the time) with monster engines or meant for doing what we consider modern 'normal' aerobatics. Rolls, loops, stall maneuvers, and spins--yes. Three-dee flying and violent snap maneuvers--no. Why the desire to grossly overpower a scale aircraft from the Golden Age so it will maneuver like a Pitts is so attractive to so many is simply baffling to me.

I know I couldn't build an aircraft as nice looking as this (or the GP PT-17, which I have) for the money--especially when you factor in what your building time and labor is worth. The price is extremely reasonable, IMO. Any decent KIT of a plane in this size range would cost no less than $200.00. Factor in (conservatively) a couple hundred dollars' worth of labor, $50 worth of hardware, adhesives, and accessories, and $60 in covering and paint, the ARF price begins to not look so bad. The PT-17's price is a bargain, if you ask me. This ARF is less so, but still not unreasonable at all.

Rick
Old 10-29-2005, 12:29 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Please don't 3D the P6!
Old 10-29-2005, 12:49 PM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmm, sounds like a great plane (pun intended) to use one of my 34cc Briggs and Stratton four stroke gas engines (Total cost, 138.00) which can be mounted inverted(not like the Fuji).......I am looking forward to it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55141.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	345641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44570.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	345642  
Old 10-29-2005, 03:40 PM
Barry Cazier

I haven't ordered one yet but I think I'm going to. THis would be real change for me. Maybe a pleasant one. This thing is so cool looking. Christmas would be a great time to get it.

They say 20 hours to put it together. Let's it normally takes me about 4X the stated times for some reason. I guess I'm just slow...or maybe careful. I like the details. But when I maiden there is usually no surprises. Because I've gone over everything ten times. But I enjoy that too.

Thanks
Barry
Old 10-30-2005, 12:48 AM
althepal

Muffler problems...

There was a tread with link to a manufacturer that has a cool exhaust for FS 120 and FS 90, directing the exhaust on the scale like location, 6 stacks on each side....that may be a solutioon...price is around the same as a slimline muffler..can not remember the site but I will resarch it and post it here when found
Al
Old 10-30-2005, 12:58 AM
althepal

Keleo Creations has this exhaust, may need some mod, but looks like a good starting point
keleo-creations.com
Old 10-30-2005, 08:19 AM
sseward

Keleo makes an exhaust for the Hanger 9 P-40. It's very similar, inverted mount and is made for OS91, Saito, etc. I'd thought about approaching them to see if they'd make one for the P-6. They would just have to add 12 exhausts per side and adjust for the pipe exit location on the cowl.

I guess it doesn't hurt to ask! To not ask is to not receive!

Steve
Old 11-07-2005, 04:13 PM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

a,.....a $600 dollar price tag. Now it's $450. Maybe by December it'll be $400. This is a lot of airplane for the money. I can't complain one bit. Not one bit about the price.

b,....Nobody at our club has anything like this plane.

c,....I can't wait to show up with it.

Thanks
Barry
a, I hope for the 400 range
b, here the same
c, good luck and let us know how it goes...I like this plane too[8D]
Old 11-27-2005, 10:57 AM
IronicRcAv8r
My Feedback: (21)

They are in stock at Tower --- Got mine on the way
Old 11-27-2005, 11:36 AM
sseward

Mine Too! Now I just gotta convince the wife that I shouldn't have to wait until Christmas!

I'm still contemplating engine choice. I have both an OS FS91 and FS120 on other planes that I'm gonna test fit. I'm also contemplating a RCV 120SP. My goal is minimum cutting of that beautiful cowling!

Steve
Old 11-27-2005, 02:50 PM
IronicRcAv8r

I am waiting till mine arrives (looks like Tuesday hopefully) to decide what engine to use -- I too want to minimize the cutting of the cowl -- from looking at the plans I think the G26 will require alot of cutting and also some added tail weight -- My stearman balances perfect with the G26, but from the looks of the firewall on the Hawk it sets out quite abit farther than the stearman so I do not think I will be going the gas route for the weight and chopping of the cowl. From looking at it I am pretty sure I will be going with the 120 FS engine -- that combination works perfect on my GP Tiger Moth and for those inquisitive minds "Yes" the Moth does hover quite well with that engine -- LOL
Old 11-27-2005, 02:59 PM
sseward

I'm gonna take my 120FS pumper off of my Gee Bee and see how it fits. If I go this route I'm going to put a Slimline inverted Pitts muffler on it so at least it won't have the OS muffler coming out the side like the protype does. The RCV will definately fit inside but I'm not sure how much cooling vents will have to be cut. Local HS employee loves the RCV and swears buy it. He has one in the GP super stearman, but it's a lot easier to cool around a radial's cowling. I'm not going to make a decision until I give it a good lookover.

Steve
Old 11-30-2005, 09:03 AM
IronicRcAv8r

I ordered my RCV 120 the other day -- looks like it will be a perfect match -- with less cutting of the cowl than any of the other engines of its size -- I will post some pics when I get the engine mounted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.