Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Logo10 Pinion coming loose

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Logo10 Pinion coming loose

Old 08-17-2003, 11:53 PM
Hivoltage
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Logo10 Pinion coming loose

OK, what is the secret to keeping the pinion to stay on the motor shaf on the Logo10, or any other electric for that matter.

They dont have a flat spot on the motor shaft. Should I grind a flat on it? It comes loose after half a dozen flights!!!!
Old 08-18-2003, 12:27 AM
d_wheel

Yes, a flat on the shaft is what I would recommend. On mine, I tape off all openings in the motor to avoid getting metal inside them. Then using my dremel, very carefully make a small flat spot. This, along with loctite, has worked perfectly so far.

Later;

D.W.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:26 AM
charleyh
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with D wheel on this. It is almost a necessity. I use a dremel with a diamond grinding bit and it has not slipped once. Even after taking it off and putting it back on with the same grub screw.

The manual says it is not needed but better safe than sorry.

See ya,
Old 08-18-2003, 01:49 PM
gwright

I use just a little blue locktite and the grubscrew,..no flat. Haven't had one come loose yet on logo10,20,or 24(bionic), even with very powerfull setups in them.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:38 PM
charleyh
My Feedback: (1)

Gary,

The grub screw that comes with the pinion is made to bite into the shaft and a flat is not required.

But it is my understanding that this only works once with the supplied screws. They loose their bite the first time you use them. If removed they will no bite as well the second time. Have you found that to be true?

It appears that Hivoltage didn't have the bite the first time or screwed it in first to check fit which essentially ruins the tip of the grub screw and will not allow it to bite as well the second time.

I put a flat on mine so I have no experience to speak of without one. But if his is coming loose it seems he is either not using loctite or the grub screw is trached and will no longer bite the shaft.

By the way guys, I saw Gary fly his Logo 10 very hard and he knows his stuff on these machines. Much more than me.

See ya,