Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

no spark

Old 03-14-2012, 04:52 PM
airtime82
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no spark

Ihave an rcgf 45cc side carb and it wouldnt start yesterday and I thought Iflooded it so I took out the plug and it seemed pretty dry and nothing ran out so Iput the plug in the boot outside the engine and the only time there is spark is the second Iturn the switch on. It will not spark when the magnet goes under the sensor only when Iswitch it off then back on Iwill get one spark. I tried two different switches and two different 4.8 nimh packs so Iknow those aren't the problem. Is this ignition junk or am Ijust missing something? How can it work one day and just stop, Ididnt change anything.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:02 PM
gr8flyer55

Default RE: no spark

I would suspect either a broken wire to the hall sensor or the sensor itself. Checkn the wire connections at the end of the sensor lead where it plugs into the ignition and so at the other end near the sensor. Vibration can and will break them there.
I've seen both happen alot.

John
Old 03-14-2012, 05:06 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Airtime, it's easy for any electronic item to suddenly fail. That's why we are so lucky the RC manufacturers produce radios that work so well. You are doing the right kind of investigation to figure out what is not working. At this time, it looks like you have a bad ignition module. You don't mention which one you have. It's not that important. I always have a spare module with me that I know is working, when I head out to the field and quite a few at home ready to go. Try replacing the module next or even the sensor. Guys have even reported bad magnets. Dan.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Bad sensor
Old 03-14-2012, 08:46 PM
aussiesteve

More than likely a bad sensor Except -

If you have undone the sensor lead from the ignition since the last time you ran it. you may have it plugged back in the wrong way around.
There were a batch of RCGF's a couple of years ago that had the wires on the sensor leads (or possibly the lead for the sensor coming form the ignition) that was wrongly connected. This meant that if you tried to hook up the sensor to the ignition and you color matched the wires - the sensor didn't work. The instant fix was to plug the wires to gether with the plug 100 degrees around the wrong way (Black wire to white wire.).

Seeing as yours is a side carb it may be of the right vintage to be one of those affected.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:25 PM
airtime82
My Feedback: (3)

okay so this is wierd. I saw the posts about the bad sensor and decided if it is a sensor I might as well buy a whole new ignition. Then I saw the last post about the plug maybe backwards and I got excited thinking maybe it was something that simple, so I went to my dads place(where the plane is) and looked but sadly there is only one way you can plug it in. Just then I thought maybe the plug needs to be touching where it threads to complete a circuit or something so with the plug pushed into the boot I touched the threads to where it threads into the head and it sparked! After that even out of the head(just in the boot) it worked when the sensor would pass the magnet! Any ideas as to what happened here? Im stumped and dont want to really run it if this means it will fail midflight.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2012, 01:35 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The wires at the plug could be losing contact. Dan.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a sensor fail once, when I undid the covering I found there was a solder repair to one lead, they stripped the insulation off and twisted the wire together and soldered it, that resulted in that wire being shorter and under a lot of pressure. After a few flights with vibration it failed.
That was a brand new engine by the way ( chinese though)
Also have you tried another plug?