Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Os .12 tz: Omg!

Old 09-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Sixtysixdeuce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Os .12 tz: Omg!

So, I just scored a killer deal on two RC10GTs and a GT2. All needed some work and a lot of clean up, but none were thrashed. Amazingly, the engines in all three were also in excellent condition. I tore all 3 trucks down, cleaned them thoroughly and reassembled, replacing any missing or damaged parts along the way. The GT2 was equipped with an OS .12 TZ, which was frozen solid from nitro goo as received, but broke free with a little brake cleaner. I dried it out, poured a generous amount of after run oil into it, spun it for awhile by hand and then plopped it back into the chassis (also had to shim the clutch; someone had put it together with no shims whatsoever and just put some loctite on the screw and ran it down until it was snug).

Anyway, had a chance to take the GT2 out and open it up a little today. All I can say is holy &*#%#^ ! I've never had a .12 or .15 size engine of any make tear it up like that! I don't know if this thing was modded, but it runs like a strong .18 or even .21, and sounds like it raps close to 40K. This thing would spank my 3,300 KV brushless/3S buggy hands down in both acceleration and top speed. Haven't hit it with radar yet, but if it doesn't clock at least 50-55, I'll be shocked.

I have other OS engines, and they run pretty good, but not like this thing. The .15 CV is just a nice little mill, and the .18 CV-R is no slouch. But if one were to equate them with real car engines, I'd call the .15 CV a 350, the .18 CV-R a 383 stroker, and this .12 TZ is like a turbocharged 327.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:12 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea I remember reading a while back that the .15tz (or was it .18tz) of that engine was ridiculously powerful(they were recommended for MT2's) would expect the same outta the .12
I was half tempted to get one for my Nitro RS4 on-road car, but glad I didn't as that thing got trashed on an old .15 lol

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 09-04-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Ttowntoolman

Yep, those were some fast engines for sure. Your top speed estimate is real close. I bet it is all stock, they did really screem. I have an os .12XZ in one of my GT's, it is the engine that replaced the tz version. It screems to rediculous RPM's even more than the tz's did, I bet it hit's close to 50,000 rpms. Big time fun for sure!
Old 09-07-2013, 08:19 AM
OvalRacer99

I put an OS .12 into a RC10gt converted to run dirt oval and yea, it was insane. I eventually changed out to something a bit more tame just to be able to drive the thing.
The OS went into a Revo and works awesome!! Way to much power for a 2 wheel drive!!
Old 09-07-2013, 08:32 AM
Sixtysixdeuce

Way to much power for a 2 wheel drive!!
I actually feel it's a pretty good balance in the GT2. The .12 TZ makes smooth, usable power, unlike potent big blocks that just plain have too much torque and cause wheelspin, back flips or parts breakage the instant you touch the throttle.

I love my GT beast, and it's definitely a one-of-a-kind truck, but it's totally unusable except for a few minutes at a time worth of wheelie and carnage amusement. That OFNA .32 puts out so much torque with a blip of the throttle that I cannot keep the thing straight on a track. If I roll on super easy, it'll accelerate, but as soon as I try to get on it, we're doing donuts and/or tumbling out of control.

I'll have to post a video of that one sometime. It's hilarious watching it do donuts. It gets spinning so fast, so quickly that it looks like one of those jumping & spinning fireworks. Of course, this usually results in some part flying off.....

Old 09-09-2013, 03:57 PM
OvalRacer99

Maybe I should have stated it a bit better. It was way to much power for a 2 wheel drive oval racer. Couldn't hook up even when going in a straight line let alone trying to get on the power off the turns, would spin the tires at anything over half throttle. But you have to realize, I am not a basher, all I do is racing and in my world power is useless without control and with an OS, it was way out of control and one doesn't win races that way.
If it is working for you, awesome, was over kill for what I needed!!!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Ttowntoolman

Yes I oval race mine with the OS in it, WAY too much power for 2wd. I usually dont run over half throttle in any race with it! She is a handfull. I purchased this engine to run in a Klien sprint car I used to race oval with. The Klien is a very heavy car and the OS 12 XZ pushes it nicely. The car was so heavy that I would use a set of Custom works street tracks up in one day of racing with it.