Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying! > 3D electric flying forum
Reload this Page >

FMS Yak 54 flight upgrades

Notices
3D electric flying forum Discuss indoor/outdoor 3D electrics in our 3D electric forum.

FMS Yak 54 flight upgrades

Old 11-01-2013, 07:03 PM
KnifeEdge540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMS Yak 54 flight upgrades

Hello all, in case anyone has the FMS Yak 54 and is unhappy with the flight performance (namely the low power output for a 3d plane) I just wanted to say that I upgraded the ESC to an 80amp ESC and am using a 5s 3300mAH pack. Flight times are 6-7 minutes and vertical climb appears unlimited. Hovers nicely at 60% throttle and climbs out very easily and quickly. Motor gets warm on a 6 minute 3D routine but doesn't heat up at all on conservative sport flying. I have a motor upgrade ready to install but so far the stock 760kV motor seems to be holding its own lol. Happy landings!
Old 07-24-2015, 06:48 AM
jerryzito

Hi knife edge. I know this is a very old thread, but I'm hoping you are still monitoring it. I have switched to a 14X6.5 two bladed prop. Not much performance. Many owners are going to 14X10 and say its great. If I do that I know I have to upgrade the ESC. How the heck do you access it. Its sitting deep in the plane. Any suggestions?
Old 12-21-2015, 12:53 AM
Truebuild

If you are flying 3D why do you want more pitch (perhaps a little more 7" pitch).
Pitch, everything else being equal is like a screw screwing through the air; more pitch is needed for speed.
For thrust (3D) you need diameter.
You can have so little pitch that the plane will not pull out of a manoeuvre fast enough to get you out of trouble.

To find out what ESC you need to upgrade to (if at all) you need to know the amps the motor is drawing. For that you can use a watt meter between the battery and the motor.

You should also be monitoring motor

Do to this stuff properly you can knock up a motor testing rig using a kitchen scale. The results are static thrust and amps but most 3D is close to static (hover).

http://http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/ho...vo_Tester.html