Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Great Planes US .60 help!!!!

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Great Planes US .60 help!!!!

Old 09-22-2016, 06:15 AM
flygilmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes US .60 help!!!!

So, I got an Ultra Sport .60 from a fellow yesterday and it appears to be in great shape. It has never flown......just built, covered and then sat. I noticed that the leading edge sheeting on the left wing has come unglued from the leading edge pretty much the entire length of the left wing half. When you press on that area, you can see/feel it moving up and down. It is on the underside of the wing. Just wondering exactly how you guys might approach getting some CA in there without totally wrecking the Monocote? I figure some thin CA ought to be the easiest way but I don't know if I should try and peel the covering back (it's all Mono which is hardest to peel and redo) or poke little holes thru the covering and hit it with thin CA etc????????

Thanks for any tips/tricks you've used!!!!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:57 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Easiest might be to make pinholes where needed and then use a piece of covering to add a trim color to hide the pinholes.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:04 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At a minimum I would remove a strip of the covering about an inch wide for the whole length of the LE and investigate the sheeting to LE joint. Easy enough to iron on a slightly wider strip to refinish things.

However if you find one botched joint that should raise alarm bells and maybe a full strip and full structural investigation is required.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:28 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flygilmore
.......... I noticed that the leading edge sheeting on the left wing has come unglued from the leading edge pretty much the entire length of the left wing half. When you press on that area, you can see/feel it moving up and down. It is on the underside of the wing. .....................

Thanks for any tips/tricks you've used!!!!
The covering allows the sheeting to lift? OK, I'd cut that loose line of covering so you can see inside. If you can see, then you can glue through the gap. I wouldn't use CA however. You want to reglue a long line of ribs right up to the LE, and CA is going to fight you getting more than half that repair made. Use carpenters glue and you'll have plenty of time. And your masking tape over Monocote will work great too. You won't have to peel back the covering at all. It'll move with the sheeting. And the sheeting is already loose.