Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

JetCat 180 Rx...losing power.

Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

JetCat 180 Rx...losing power.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:11 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default JetCat 180 Rx...losing power.

I have a 180Rx installed in a jet that I only fly a few times per year - only on bitumen full-size runways. On my last flight the take-off took a lot longer than I am used to. The flight was fine, but I am getting worried about flying this model again....

Is there a problem with these engines, where they start to lose power over time?

Jan
Old 12-22-2016, 11:17 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Are you using an additive to reduce the slime build up in the fuel that could reduce fuel flow?
Old 12-22-2016, 01:30 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

No I am not.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:13 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

if that (clog) were happening you would see an increase in max pump voltage at max RPM, and if you got so much slime or crud that power was reduced, you would have already hit the max pump limit. You can check all of that with the GSU.

This is why I have always strongly recommended to check your max pump voltage after every flight, you will see the trends of a clogged filter coming over several flights.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:58 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
I have a 180Rx installed in a jet that I only fly a few times per year - only on bitumen full-size runways. On my last flight the take-off took a lot longer than I am used to. The flight was fine, but I am getting worried about flying this model again....

Is there a problem with these engines, where they start to lose power over time?

Jan
Well I'm sorry to hear you're having issues. There was a problem with the original P-180RX engines that JetCat just could not seem to figure out. It was most prevalent in areas of high temperatures and high humidity. Seems like Australia fits that description. John Redman came up with a fix before he and JetCat parted ways so I don't know who you'd contact, but Dreamworks would be the place to start IMHO.