Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Concave sanding tools?

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Concave sanding tools?

Old 08-12-2020, 02:18 PM
cjtyped
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Concave sanding tools?

I have the multiple shape sanding tools. I want to use the 1/4" radius feature. I also have the sticky backed sandpaper, but it doesn't work very well with the tool. Any other suggestions? Is there a way to make this work I don't know about? TIA.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:17 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Carl Goldberg used to include one with their Ultimate biplane. I think I still have one I see if I can find and post a picture. It was just two pieces of flat ply and a U shaped bracket for each end you glued the flat pieces to. Then stuck the paper on. They work pretty good. Overall it ends up about 4" long and 1-1/4" square. Every kit had one, maybe someone close to you has one.

David
Old 08-13-2020, 07:33 PM
GREG DOE

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a number of "PermaGrit" sanding tools. I think they are still made? My collection includes flat, round, V shaped, concave, and curved.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:43 PM
golf4two

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can easily make a selection of concave sanding tools out of short lengths of PVC (or other material) pipe.
I've made a number of them using pipe of different diameters (PVC works best and is easy to cut).
Simply cut to desired length...you might want some long (like for leading edges), or short for utility work.
Next cut in half, quarters, or even thirds lengthwise..
Use sticky-back sandpaper of the grit appropriate for the task.
Bonus: If you wanted to sand a concave surface on the plane then just put the sandpaper on the outside of the piece of pipe.
Cheers,
G42
The following users liked this post:
daveopam (08-17-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 02:13 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use 3M 77 Adhesive spray and regular (non-sitcky backed) sandpaper. Will keep your sandpaper firmly attached. When changing sandpaper, peel off the old, wipe the tool down with mineral spirits to remove the old adhesive, and you're good to go.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:31 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is a sample of a convex sander. Cut in 2 lengthwise and you can make a concave sander. I also use the plastic cover from caulk tubes. Smaller diameter is doable. You just have to find the right size tube.