Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Recommended automotive starter for large RC gas engines

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Recommended automotive starter for large RC gas engines

Old 06-23-2002, 11:37 PM
ngr1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended automotive starter for large RC gas engines

Hello, can anyone share their experience with respect to converting an automotive starter for use with large gas engines without an electronic ignition. I have 46cc and 62cc engines I do not want to risk my fingers or hand so that is why I am leaning towards a starter.

If you can recommend which automobile make, model and year lends itself to an easy RC starter conversion it would be appreciated

Thanks

Norman
Old 06-24-2002, 02:11 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one that is most easily modified is the Ford starter that does not have a integral solenoid. If you do a little research for go cart starters, they have a home built design that will serve your purpose well. The most expensive part will be the large drive hub and insert.

Vince
Old 06-24-2002, 10:06 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

just buy the miller belt reduction drive starter. it will start those engines and all you need is the starter and a 24 volt source. their number is 707-833-5905. they are in kenwood, ca. it comes ready to run- you do need to know which spinner etc you will use as they have different insrts for the different types of spinners or prop nuts.

ed
Old 06-24-2002, 01:44 PM
kevin mcgrath
My Feedback: (1)

I had good results using two small sealed 12 volts and feeding 24 volts to an ordinary HD Tower starter.It flipped my G62 over with authority.I have no idea how long the starter would put up with this abuse however.
Using starters on gassers is a pain and defeats one of the joys of gassership......that is minimal field equipment,IMO.
Why not try to overcome your natural fear of those large props,by getting help to find out why you are having difficulty starting your engines?If you have a starting drill down pat ,invest in a heavier glove even one of those armoured chain saw,or butchers types.If your engines are magneto equipped consider starter springs,or one of several types of electronic ignition conversions to decrease the timing for starting.....
Please take my remarks as constructive not critical,as I beleive anything is better than lugging batteries and a starter around,and using a starter on large gas engines brings its own safety concerns anyway.
It really is true that given proper equipment and a solid starting drill,99% easy starts are possible with gassers.The other 1% of the time you need a new plug,or the screen in the carb is filled with crud!
My $C .04 worth......
Old 06-27-2002, 11:22 PM
Claude-DELETE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A late 70's or early 80's Honda Civic starter makes a great airplane starter. It is a gear reducion stater and very easy to convert.