Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

warped wing...need help

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

warped wing...need help

Old 05-03-2004, 09:57 PM
Todd M
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warped wing...need help

HELP.....I am building a SIG Ninja slope plane. It has sheeted foam wings. I just pulled the wings out of the shucks and one of them is warped. I cant figure out where I screwed up, I glue and pressed them on a very flat surface (Delta table saw) but one still came out warped. Is there anyway to unwarp it now? Or do I just start over with a new core? If it was all balsa I would steam it and bend it back but I dont think this will work with the foam in them. Any ideas?
Thanks
Todd M
Old 05-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: warped wing...need help

The ailerons may be capable of being trimmed to offset the warp.
Can't hurt to try.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:47 PM
J_R

You can try wetting them/it with blue windex (or ammonia) and putting them back in the shucks. Soak it pretty good. Put a ton of weight on it and wait a couple of days, minimum.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Stew99

Wetting it with an ammonia and water solution should work but first make sure the shuck itself is not warped before you put the wing back in. If it is you will have to find some other way to twist the wing back to the correct shape while it dries. If it was cut with a warp you might have to go for a new wing panel.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Todd M
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the info. I soak it good with windex and put it back in the shuck. The core and shuck where straight when I started, I must not have laid it down on the sheeting straight when I glued it up. I'll be more carefull next time I build a sheeted foam wing. What does the ammonia do? does it affect the wood, foam or glue?
Old 05-05-2004, 02:43 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ammonia softens the wood tissuess, letting them adjust to the new shape, and at the same time loosens the glue bond so it can also adjust to the new shape. When the thing is dry, the new shape should be locked in.
It won't have any effect on epoxy, though.