Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RCU VIRUS ALERT

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RCU VIRUS ALERT

Old 09-08-2004, 04:20 PM
LTV_A7D
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCU VIRUS ALERT

Guys n' gals,

I have received a virus through RCU. Someone hacked into my account and subscribed me to every single forum so that my email fills to capacity within minutes. Managing my account has had no effect on the worm. Marc is going to try to assist me. Everything fails it seems, from oversized B-52's to computers .
Old 09-08-2004, 04:27 PM
HalH
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: RCU VIRUS ALERT

I have the same problem.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:28 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: LTV_A7D

Guys n' gals,

I have received a virus through RCU. Someone hacked into my account and subscribed me to every single forum so that my email fills to capacity within minutes. Managing my account has had no effect on the worm. Marc is going to try to assist me. Everything fails it seems, from oversized B-52's to computers .

Calm please. this is not a virus. you just need to unsubscribe to forums you subscribed to way back when. we enabled email notifies for forums so go to www.rcuniverse.com/subscribe.asp and unsubscribe. I'll try to do it for you in the meantime
Old 09-08-2004, 04:32 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

I could be wrong on this, but it also looks to me as if the "subscribe" link is now in the exact same place that "Mark this forum read" used to be ... in which case a bunch of people may be inadvertantly subscribing because they don't see that the "Mark this forum thread" link has moved to the right.

Gordon
Old 09-08-2004, 04:33 PM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: LTV_A7D

Guys n' gals,

You were subscribed to 3 or 4 forums to get email. These were legacy subscriptions you had. I removed them. go to settings page and then click subscriptions to subscribe to Myforums and modify email anytime.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:46 PM
JetMax
My Feedback: (4)

Wow!

Somebody STOP this!
Here is what I get when I click on your link to "unsubscribe"

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.
Click the Back button to try another link.
HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
ASPPlayground.NET SQL Forum Software

Something has gone major haywire and my e-mail is filling faster than I can delete.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.
Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:55 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Mark the forum emails are not forums I have EVER subscribed too, so I don't think you have it right and also I have a Mac with norton's blocker, so it seems this is on your end.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:01 PM
mvigod
Banned

GO TO THIS PAGE AND UNCHECK "GET MAIL" CHECKBOX AND SUBMIT

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/subscribe.asp
Old 09-08-2004, 05:02 PM
mvigod
Banned

jetmax - PM me with a copy of that exact email so I can see why you got page not found
Old 09-08-2004, 05:03 PM
JetMax

Please tell me how to stop this e-mail stuff. Your link doesn't work.

Kim
Old 09-08-2004, 05:17 PM
mvigod
Banned

jetmax,

I did it for you. what link does not work?
Old 09-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Things are really fouled up. It looks like I am subscribed to all of the threads in about 4 forums that I view. I am also getting e-mails from RC car forums that I've never visited.

Ken
Old 09-08-2004, 05:33 PM
JetMax

You did it for me? What did you do for me? Now the link that didn't work earlier works now but I never checked any boxes in the first place. At least the massive emails seem to have subsided, so that's a relief.

Kim
Old 09-08-2004, 05:45 PM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: JetMax

You did it for me? What did you do for me? Now the link that didn't work earlier works now but I never checked any boxes in the first place. At least the massive emails seem to have subsided, so that's a relief.

Kim
kim - what did I do? I stopped the emails. they were checked so I removed them. you subscribed many months ago to some forums.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:47 PM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: Big_Bird

Things are really fouled up. It looks like I am subscribed to all of the threads in about 4 forums that I view. I am also getting e-mails from RC car forums that I've never visited.

Ken
read this thread. it explains how to remove the forum subscriptions.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:51 PM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: Big_Bird

Ken
ken,

fixed for you. you were subscribed to lots of forums. read this thread how to select forums and how to set email notifies.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:56 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

now I'm getting emails from forums I've never looked at and I've deleted all my subscribtions hours ago!
Old 09-08-2004, 07:10 PM
JetMax

Well, I don't remember subscribing to several forums "months ago" and if I am brain dead and really did, then why haven't I received a single email until today? ( like 54 of them today in a few hours)

hope you find out what's going on

Kim
Old 09-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

Me too

I am getting a bunch of notices of forums that I have not subscribed to???? whats up?
Old 09-08-2004, 08:32 PM
mvigod
Banned

I cleared out the old tables. You guys getting these subscribed to forums months or years ago. I've had email disabled on this feature because the old forum had no control to disable it. Now since it was enabled some of you are seeing the emails come in.

I changed the default preference for everyone to receive only new threads created in subscribed forums for which you have opted for email notify.

I cleared out all forum level subscriptions and email notifies so you should not get emails to forums unless you explicitly subscribe and opt-in to get the email for them.

To change your prefs on this click SETTINGS and the click the subscriptions link or you can hit it from the forum homepage welcome panel where it says 'View Subscriptions'
Old 09-09-2004, 01:19 AM
JetMax

Thankyou for straightening this out. We appreciate your service.

best regards,

Kim
Old 09-09-2004, 12:11 PM
Laura H

It is trying to block the computer. 25 crap emails from RCU!

Laura