Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

some thoughts on future planes

Old 11-21-2004, 04:12 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some thoughts on future planes

i was looking around and i see these composite planes and there one thing i have seen and love its the bolt on motor box . i was wondering why hasn't this made its way to the main stream of all RC planes i would love a bolt on motor box 50 cc plane it would make many things i need to work on easier to get to and think it might lighten up planes but even if it didn't and added an oz or 2 i would still love it

Tom have you thought of this, if so what have you found out about it

i think a composite motor box on a built up airframe would kick ass

you could also stock them with different right thrust angles or have it where some one could have you make one thats at a different thrust angle
Old 11-21-2004, 05:45 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: some thoughts on future planes

I've always liked the sliding motor box idea, too. It makes it easy to adjust the firewall to thrust washer to cowl distances super easy for any make and type of engine. Just bolt it down with some aluminum angle and go flying. You can also easily and seriously modify a planes c/g that way, too.

I can see where pre-setting the thrust angle for entry level gas flyers can be beneficial too, tho.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:34 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of things go into a design that are not obvious.

The thrust of the engine drags the plane along behind it. On our planes the motor box sides extend back to the wing tube so the fuse sides are not carrying the thrust. They also support the landing gear which is why the gear on a WH plane does not fall out when you have a rough landing.

On a composite plane they just thicken the walls between the firewall and the wing to carry the load.

TF
Old 11-21-2004, 11:56 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

i can see in my heaD a cool way of doing these like the sides of the motor box the way it is now but it only sticks out like an inch and a half out of the plane and the rest is composite or wood and could be shortened for different size motors but it must not be very feasible spelling ?or more company's would be doing it already
Old 11-22-2004, 02:33 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

With most of the 50cc engines using stand off's why bother! It ain't broke why fix it?