Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

G.P 1/3 scale cap 580 a big rock???

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

G.P 1/3 scale cap 580 a big rock???

Old 01-14-2005, 02:58 PM
serge1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G.P 1/3 scale cap 580 a big rock???

Greetings all,

What do you thing of the new G.P 1/3 scale cap 580? The weight seems to be higher than expected.

How about the wing loading?

Wingspan: 99.5 in (2530mm)
Wing Area: 1885 sq in (121.6 dm2
Weight: 29-32 lb (13.2-14.5 kg)
Fuselage Length: 95 in (2415mm)
Wing Loading: 35-39 oz/sq ft (107-119 g/dm2)
Engine Required: 4.2-7.2 cu in (80-120cc) glow or gasoline

I wonder how it will 3D. I have a DA 100 ready to install in it when it comes out.

Pleas post your comments and tought.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85690.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	215091  
Old 01-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Flip and Fly

Default RE: G.P 1/3 scale cap 580 a big rock???

Well it does seem heavy to me, even at 29 lbs and 35oz/inch sq it's going to fly heavy. Also looks like it lost the paint ball fight Then again some people will love it.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Diablo-RCU

I wouldn't worry about the weight until they are being shipped. Who really knows what they will weigh? Bad guesses don't count.....
Old 01-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Mudsurfer1234

i will prorobly upset some people by saying this, but to me, Great Planes is good up to like a 90 size, like the U Can Do. I think they are good for the fun flyer types, and some scale, but not the giants. I just hear so much negatives about the big extra, i wonder if this will be the same.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it ends up in the weight ranges stated, any of the smaller engines suggested to be used will only be good for getting to the scene of the crash. The larger engines will be wasted on a plane that will be over priced for the performance level that will be available. At 29 pounds, it will take a lot more than a 100cc engine for quality performance, and the weight will increase proportunate to the engine size used

All the above applies if the weights come in at or above the manufacturers suggested. If the plane ends up in the 22 to 25 lb. range, then all would be good with a strong 4.2 or above. Unfortunately, previous experience with Great Planes products indicate that their weight ranges are very optimistic.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

AnnMarie Cross did a mini preview of the 1/3 CAP 580 in another RC website and it looks impressive. She recommends a DA100 and said that's what Matt himself recommends also. This one is realistically about $150 less than the H9 1/3scale aerobats, and it comes with all required hardware plus lots of extras (pilot, dashboard, spinner, aluminum servo arms, etc.) - unlike the bare bones H9s. Even if GP misses the target a little on their first try at 100" aerobat ARF, I think it'll be great for us RCers that Great Planes has finally decided to duke it out with Horizon in this arena.

I would hold off on flight performance speculation till a few reports come it.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:13 PM
serge1

Volfy,

Where I can see the preview?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2005, 02:20 PM
serge1

ORIGINAL: Mudsurfer1234

i will prorobly upset some people by saying this, but to me, Great Planes is good up to like a 90 size, like the U Can Do. I think they are good for the fun flyer types, and some scale, but not the giants. I just hear so much negatives about the big extra, i wonder if this will be the same.

I have to disagree a little I have the Patty extra, christen eagle, pitts and I am a very happy great planes customer so far. And if you ever have a problem like a chipped cowl or whatever G.P customer service is top notch. At least it has been for me. Sure nothing is perfect in this world so are these arf's.

Will have to wait and see for the 580 but I am almost sure it will be a ''Great Planes''

My main concern is the weight for 3D. Will see...
Old 01-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Flip and Fly

Well the way I see it if it comes out costing less than the Hangar nine 33% planes, and if it weights about 24 - 25lbs ( it is bigger than 33%) I would be interested. Just remove the covering and try my own design, no big deal By the way who designed it, was it Mike Cross. The Great Planes 35% Extra 330L kit is a good flyer from what I hear.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Volfy

ORIGINAL: serge1

Volfy,

Where I can see the preview?

Thanks
Don't know if this violates any RCU rules about competitior sites, but here goes:

http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4711
Old 01-17-2005, 10:44 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We will be doing a full review on the plane including a weigh in out of the gate that we might post here before we publish the review anyway just to get the info out.

volfy - the link above is fine. links to specific threads/posts are allowd if pertinent to a thread here. we just don't allow generic links to other sites homepages or links like go to xyz.com and search.

That said I just check out the link and was disappointed to not see any weights off the actual plane. I too am interested to see where this one weighs in at. IF it comes in at the higher published weight it is definitely heavier then those that it competes with in this size range. However when they finally come in the wood selection and other factors may bring the published weight down a bit. This is what will be most interesting to see. We hope to have ours shipped as soon as the slow boat arrives and we can start getting into the details.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:37 AM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone looks for "performance" --tho what the performance standard is -- not much agreement .
the GP Extra, Mike Cross did, was smaller and (potentially)
very much lighter . and a terrif flyer done right n light.
We flew a WH330 at 26 .5 lbs w/a ZDZ80 on a pipe - and it was a nice flyer but really no rocket .
Probably a great setup for many guys.
Adding 100 CC engine - and cans - weight jumped up 2 lbs - Power also jumped up - all in all better at speed
But then we sawed the wings to 99" and it all got an enema - now it is much more nimble.
If possible--- the 100CC 3D capable planes are better at 30 oz ft.
At the cheap price of these ARFS -just buy one - -if it is too heavy for your tastes- strip it and recover -and saw the tips to same length as the fuselage (95")
Doesn't anyone build or experiment anymore ?
Old 01-17-2005, 12:08 PM
serge1

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

Everyone looks for "performance" --tho what the performance standard is -- not much agreement .
the GP Extra, Mike Cross did, was smaller and (potentially)
very much lighter . and a terrif flyer done right n light.
We flew a WH330 at 26 .5 lbs w/a ZDZ80 on a pipe - and it was a nice flyer but really no rocket .
Probably a great setup for many guys.
Adding 100 CC engine - and cans - weight jumped up 2 lbs - Power also jumped up - all in all better at speed
But then we sawed the wings to 99" and it all got an enema - now it is much more nimble.
If possible--- the 100CC 3D capable planes are better at 30 oz ft.
At the cheap price of these ARFS -just buy one - -if it is too heavy for your tastes- strip it and recover -and saw the tips to same length as the fuselage (95")
Doesn't anyone build or experiment anymore ?

Well...You're so damn right....
Old 01-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

If the big paint splashes come off I think the yellow will be a fine base to work with.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Volfy

One thing I did like very much about the GP CAP 580 is the choice of two locations for the wing tube and pins - to allow for a wider range of engine weights.

Like the Futaba 14MZ, the GP CAP 580 seems to get pelted with criticism based on a few tidbiz of pre-production info. I think this model has far greater implications for the giant scale aerobatic scene than a simple RTF weight number can yield. We have had 1/3 scale or larger scale aerobat ARFs up the wazoo already, of course, but now that the sleeping giant has decided to enter the ring - watch out!
Old 01-17-2005, 12:53 PM
serge1

ORIGINAL: Volfy

One thing I did like very much about the GP CAP 580 is the choice of two locations for the wing tube and pins - to allow for a wider range of engine weights.

Like the Futaba 14MZ, the GP CAP 580 seems to get pelted with criticism based on a few tidbiz of pre-production info. I think this model has far greater implications for the giant scale aerobatic scene than a simple RTF weight number can yield. We have had 1/3 scale or larger scale aerobat ARFs up the wazoo already, of course, but now that the sleeping giant has decided to enter the ring - watch out!

Well its a ''great planes'' after all

Can't wait to see the review. Perhaps by making it on some diet it will be a winner.

Hummm....So many new ARF's coming this spring.....

Old 01-17-2005, 03:03 PM
Volfy

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

We will be doing a full review on the plane including a weigh in out of the gate that we might post here before we publish the review anyway just to get the info out.

volfy - the link above is fine. links to specific threads/posts are allowd if pertinent to a thread here. we just don't allow generic links to other sites homepages or links like go to xyz.com and search...
Marc, thanks for the clarification on what's kosher to post. Look forward to reading your review.

Serge, like you, I've had very good experience with GP ARFs. They just get better and better everytime a new ARF is introduced. Plus, their parts support is second to none.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:06 PM
SukhoiKid
My Feedback: (15)

To me that color scheme is really ugly. A friend of mine had the 60 size one and crashed it the first flight. He said he went into a snap and when he tried to pull out it snaed over again and he didnt have room to recover.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:17 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

GP's gas planes are all heavy. Everyone likes the patty with a DA50.. I think that plane flies extremely heavy (on a DA50) compared to a CA 27% extra, Chip Hyde Vision, WH Extra or any plane that takes that engine that is lighter or has better wing loading. Of course most still love the patty because it does fly well even heavy but once you have flown a truly light plane on its wings you will never, ever settle for a heavy plane again.

I almost bought a patty but after flying a Columbo Anderson Extra that thought went completely out of my mind!!

The immense weight of that CAP does not surprise me, the poor wing loading numbers do however. A DA 100 plane should weigh in at 25 max and have at max a 30 oz wing loading number.. more like 26 for one of my planes. The cap as mentioned above has neither.. RED FLAG. We have an H9 Extra with a ZDZ 80 that we put together under 22 pounds. Same size plane!! 25 oz loading #.

Even on cans at 30# that plane will be a pig on a DA100.. well at least a 3D pig. Anyone buying it better put it on a diet.. a heavy cap will fly like crap!

Can you say "SNAP"
DP
Old 01-17-2005, 04:13 PM
serge1

ORIGINAL: desertpig

GP's gas planes are all heavy. Everyone likes the patty with a DA50.. I think that plane flies extremely heavy (on a DA50) compared to a CA 27% extra, Chip Hyde Vision, WH Extra or any plane that takes that engine that is lighter or has better wing loading. Of course most still love the patty because it does fly well even heavy but once you have flown a truly light plane on its wings you will never, ever settle for a heavy plane again.

I almost bought a patty but after flying a Columbo Anderson Extra that thought went completely out of my mind!!

The immense weight of that CAP does not surprise me, the poor wing loading numbers do however. A DA 100 plane should weigh in at 25 max and have at max a 30 oz wing loading number.. more like 26 for one of my planes. The cap as mentioned above has neither.. RED FLAG. We have an H9 Extra with a ZDZ 80 that we put together under 22 pounds. Same size plane!! 25 oz loading #.

Even on cans at 30# that plane will be a pig on a DA100.. well at least a 3D pig. Anyone buying it better put it on a diet.. a heavy cap will fly like crap!

Can you say "SNAP"
DP

Hummmm....I hate to say that but you're so right.....Oh well....How about a 1/3 scale foamy....

Old 01-17-2005, 04:33 PM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Marc:
If you look and read the descriptions of the pictures it says in one of them that it is a 29 lb airplane with a DA 100.
Be interesting what others will weigh in at.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:53 PM
serge1

I thing it will be a rock solid plane for IMAC but it won't be light for 3D. I would put the plane on diet by using only one servo for the rudder (JR 8611) and perhaps one servo per aileron depending of the flexibility of that one. Also a carbon fiber spinner, landing gear and wing tube should help. Some airframe holes should shave some onces in the process.

I like the color sheme. It should look great in a knife edge pass 10 feet over the deck.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:58 PM
3D Joy

A 26-27 lbs plane with a single 8611 on the rudder ??????????????? That is assuming the carbon wing tube helped more than should...

Anyway, it sounds like the weight mentioned is easily reached and that is refreshing since a lot of manufacturers propose weights that are at the very least hard to attain in the real world.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:25 PM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Well after reading the review on this plane I think it is a neat plane. For one, I really like the way it looks. The price is very good considering it comes with a painted aluminum spinner, a pilot, all good quality hardware, nice tail wheel, ect. Now the weight is a bummer. That plane should be able to be produced closer to 25 or so. I think the sales will not be very good simply because of the weight. It is cool that the wing can shift. If the cg would work, a person could put a BME 110 on there instead of the DA. That would save 2 lbs right there. If you used carbon gear and tube, lipos and all the expensive gadgets, 26 lbs might not be out of the question. It would be interesting to see a review of one of these set up like that.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:27 PM
RTK

I agree, 26 or less should be doable.

ORIGINAL: Bryant330L

Well after reading the review on this plane I think it is a neat plane. For one, I really like the way it looks. The price is very good considering it comes with a painted aluminum spinner, a pilot, all good quality hardware, nice tail wheel, ect. Now the weight is a bummer. That plane should be able to be produced closer to 25 or so. I think the sales will not be very good simply because of the weight. It is cool that the wing can shift. If the cg would work, a person could put a BME 110 on there instead of the DA. That would save 2 lbs right there. If you used carbon gear and tube, lipos and all the expensive gadgets, 26 lbs might not be out of the question. It would be interesting to see a review of one of these set up like that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.