Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Monocoat preparation

Old 02-07-2005, 03:40 PM
MarkShapiro
My Feedback: (52)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Monocoat preparation

What, if anything, are you guys doing as prep-work prior to applying monocoat? Obviously I am talking in addition to sanding. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:17 PM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Monocoat preparation

Be sure to vacume all surfaces that you plan to cover, vacume entire work area you plan to use during covering, make all cuts with new single edge razor blade, new blade every time and make all cuts on new artist poster board.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:56 PM
MarkShapiro

All good suggestions. Is anyone spraying the wood surfaces with hair spray before applying monocoat or any other product?
Old 02-07-2005, 06:08 PM
FBaity

I have tried a number of products with limited sucess. I have used balsarite where fuel proof is critical. I would think hairs spray might gas off bubbles under the heat of the iron. I have had great sucess with clean surface, new sock on iron, clean cut edges and seal seams with clear poly. Another important element is planning, if you are using multi colors start on the AFT portion of surface with overlaps aft and sealed. I have covered a bazzilian models and the sucess comes with commonsence. Think clean, even your hands and tools and don't use too much heat.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:09 PM
FBaity

I have tried a number of products with limited sucess. I have used balsarite where fuel proof is critical. I would think hairs spray might gas off bubbles under the heat of the iron. I have had great sucess with clean surface, new sock on iron, clean cut edges and seal seams with clear poly. Another important element is planning, if you are using multi colors start on the AFT portion of surface with overlaps aft and sealed. I have covered a bazzilian models and the sucess comes with commonsence. Think clean, even your hands and tools and don't use too much heat.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Ryans Rebel
My Feedback: (12)

Fbaity is doing what I do. I clean the surface more than once. Compressed air, alcohol, and then a tack cloth. I never uses more than 220 gtis sand paper and my monokote comes out awesome. No bubbles after 5+ years.

Ryan
Old 02-07-2005, 11:35 PM
MarkShapiro

Thanks guys,
I guess taht I really was not missing out on anything. My procedures have been in line with all of yours.