Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

possible rf interferance

Old 02-09-2005, 10:39 PM
rsubishop
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible rf interferance

I'm trying to build an extremely light 36% edge. to balance i'm having to put all 3 batteries in the tail of the plane. 2 rx and 1 ignition. the switches are also having to mount back there to help balance. so the switch will be 18 or so inches from my rx, but the batteries are all mounted together, plus the switches. The antenna will be running back through the fuse, but will be running parallel to the ignition batt lead, they will be separated as much as possible. I'll of course range check with the engine on, but does this scream NO to anyone? any suggestions?
Old 02-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: possible rf interferance

What bothers me more that the batteries all being together is all the long wire runs along with the antenna. Personally, I would be looking for a way to get the antenna outside the plane and well away from the secondary antenna/magnetic field of the battery and servo leads.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:13 AM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run a deans base load antenna.......its only like 6inch wire then the bendable antenna
Old 02-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Stick Jammer

Just curious, what engine are you using? Seems odd for all that weight to go in the tail no matter how light it's built.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:15 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Stick Jammer

Just curious, what engine are you using? Seems odd for all that weight to go in the tail no matter how light it's built.
I was thinking the same thing.... This is simply unheard of IMO with the typical 100cc twin up front.

Maybe the CG location has incorrectly been calculated or located.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:38 PM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

Yep, there's something amiss here!
Old 02-11-2005, 01:23 AM
rsubishop

running a DA 100. Airframe and wings total 10 lbs. it has flat stabs which are built very light. with the batts back there, it balances right on the wing tube. total weight right now is 19.5 lbs.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:33 AM
rsubishop

oh, and not to deceive, when i say they are mounted in the tail, they are just over halfway down the turtledeck, so not in an extreme location. they are about 4 inches behind my friends 2.6m comp arf. but since i dont have the weight of the flying stabs i'm not too surprised with this.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Stick Jammer

Rudder and elevator servos in the tail? Fuel tank on the CG? Do the stabs have flying wires? Not questioning your calculations, but it still seems a little odd.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:51 PM
rsubishop

rudder servo is set up pull-pull. using a 400 oz hitec single servo. so no its not in the tail. yes the elevator servos are back there. yes i'm using flying wires. using 18g kevlar strand, two continuous loops with ca in the stabs where it passes through to keep them stable. its a laminating grade material, so it bonds well. there is no hardware from the flying wires. its a semi permanent instal. the only thing i have left to do on the plane for more weight savings is the batts. i'm using standard nh batts. not ready to part with the money for lithium batts and regulators yet. I have either titanium or aluminum hardware on everything including servo screws. i've saved about 1/2 pound getting rid of steel hardware alone. oh and the stabs and control surfaces are not sheeted. theres just no weight in the back to balance with. the carbon tailwheel is the heaviest thing back there
Old 02-11-2005, 07:53 PM
rsubishop

oh and yes fuel tank is on cg
Old 02-11-2005, 08:40 PM
Stick Jammer

Considering all the info you've provided, I would find a way to get the ignition battery up front and away from the Rx and the antenna. Sounds like you have a little more room to slide the Rx batteries back even farther to compensate.